What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help - Printing Vector smart objects in photoshop - Prints blurry

nitro79

Hi Everyone. Im certainly not new to Photoshop. I have been using it since 1998 everyday. I am a graphic designer.
Think the reason I never come across this problem usually is because I make all my artwork for print in Indesign.
EG bring vectors in and images etc.
This particular project I have loads of textures that go over vector smart objects in Photoshop. As part of the look I need these textures and light leaks flooding across over the vectors I have placed in Photoshop.
Its a Zfold brochure and have built the whole thing in Photoshop due to the style I wish it to look.

MY PROBLEM
I have exported a 1x front of brochure and 1x Back as a Photoshop PDF and placed into indesign so I can use my fold and crop marks. This makes the live type that was in photoshop perfect and cant tell the difference that it was originally in Photoshop, it looks Indesign quality on my laser printer. The vector smart objects though are really blurry. Is there any way to keep the smart objects from rasterizing when saving in a file format?

Try saving them as ai files and then import

I'm not sure about indesign, I have used it three times maybe. perhaps you could drag-and-drop

Last edited:
At the risk of stating the obvious, the problem is not, per se, that the vector smart objects get rasterized, but rather that they are being rasterized with pixel dimensions that are too small. Unfortunately, I don't have time to double check this, but my guess is that the rasterization parameters when the vector smart object from ID is brought into PS (and eventually rasterized) are carried over from the document size parameters initially specified in AI / ID.

An easy way to check this is to look at the "document setup" dialog box in ID. For one of the ID documents that is giving you problems, temporarily switch the "intent" to either "web" or "digital publishing" so that the dimensions of the ID document in pixels are shown. If the pixel dimensions don't look high enough to be compatible with the pixel dimensions of your existing textures, do a test where you double or triple them, and then go through your usual import process and see if the pixelization problem is reduced.

HTH,

Tom

I see where your going. Im not sure how to of this in indesign. This is all new territory.

In inDesign, go to File / Document Setup ...

Tom

PS - One would think that since you are importing a vector smart object, you could resize it to whatever pixel dimension you need and the numbers shown in the above dialog box would be more for information or printing than actual use, but I'm pretty sure I remember running into a very similar problem a couple of years ago, so give it a try.

Attachments

• 2014-06-23_122033-inDesign_document_setup_parameters.jpg
    2014-06-23_122033-inDesign_document_setup_parameters.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 17

Back