What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Solved] PS CC / 2014 Split Channel File-Name Error ?

MrToM

Guru
Can somebody using PS CC or PS 2014 please confirm whether the file names are correct for split channels.

Procedure:
1. Open a file, (must be flattened if a layered PSD).
2. From the Channels Panel Fly-Out menu choose 'Split Channels'.
3. The file names of the resulting documents should be:

For RGB or CMYK file 'butterfly.png':
butterfly.png_Red or _Cyan
butterfly.png_Green or _Magenta
butterfly.png_Blue or _Yellow
butterfly.png_Black

My results are:
AR_Red
_Green
A_Blue

These results are the same for every file I've tried. The original filename is totally disregarded.

Is this just me or is it PS CC and PS 2014?

Your feedback is appreciated.
Thank you.

Regards.
MrTom.

nope I get full names all though I have hesitated in the the 2014 update I havent done ps yet
split.PNG

Thanks Hoogle, much appreciated.

Regards.
MrTom.

Why are they supposed to say butterfly.png_Cyan OR Red? Mine just read with the file name and the name of the channel, Cyan,Yellow,Magenta and Black.
channel names.JPG

If the image is in RGB Mode you'll get _Red _Green _Blue as extensions to the filename.
If the image is in CMYK Mode you'll get _Cyan _Magenta _Yellow _Black extensions to the filename

'butterfly.png' is just an example filename.
Its completely missing from my document names:

split_ch_names_01.png

I just tried to cover all the bases as either of those two modes could be used....I tried to do it in a shorthand kind of way as well.
Sorry for the confusion and many thanks for the screen shot, much appreciated.

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited:
UPDATE:

The cause:

My panel checked for when documents are opened or new documents were created.
Since 'Split Channels' opens documents during its execution it was triggering the code I had in my panel for when documents are opened.

The code being executed in my script conflicted with the generated filenames for the 'Split Channels' tabs.

The code used by Adobe for listening for newly created documents or existing documents being opened is apparently buggy, and as far as PS CC is concerned just doesn't work at all.

Since removing this code 'Split Channels' works fine.

Regards.
MrTom.

Back