What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Discussion about what to do and discuss in free request threads

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
{NOTE FROM TOM M}

I started this thread so that we don't clog up a free request thread that led to a meta-discussion of what sorts of changes, and what sorts of discussion are appropriate for free request threads. Specifically, I split
THE OLD THREAD after post #20 and moved everything after that point to this thread, and we can continue the discussions to our heart's content over here, LOL.

----------------------------------------
Sam's comment:

Color correction is the biggest problem I see in comparing all versions. The other is hair contrast.

I don't like the idea that some chose to remove her scar from the her forehead. I would understand if it was a some sort of a layout, but this is a CV photo, it needs to depict her as she is in reality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Quick edit for a photo for a CV

...Color correction is the biggest problem I see in comparing all versions...
...which was not a request in the OP's original specification and shouldn't really be considered at all.

...I don't like the idea that some chose to remove her scar from the her forehead...
I agree, but the OP's request to "make my face a bit smoother" is rather open to interpretation.

...but this is a CV photo, it needs to depict her as she is in reality.
Again I agree....falsifying anything on a CV isn't exactly a good start but then we're not here to judge.

An OP's 'Free Edit' request shouldn't, in my opinion, be analysed to this degree...if at all. If members wish to contribute with their 'edit' then they should do so and leave it at that.

By all means questions about technique is fine, thats how we all learn, but not to dissect like this....there are plenty of other opportunities in 'practice' threads for that.

Just my 2¢.

Regards.
MrToM.

Well I didn't do any color correction, that happened by itself when I saved it as a jpeg and the couple of beers I had while doing it probably didn't help much either :rofl:

An OP's 'Free Edit' request shouldn't, in my opinion, be analysed to this degree...if at all. If members wish to contribute with their 'edit' then they should do so and leave it at that.

By all means questions about technique is fine, thats how we all learn, but not to dissect like this....there are plenty of other opportunities in 'practice' threads for that.

Just my 2¢.

Regards.
MrToM.

I totally agree. While you may be interpreting my post as being analytical, it was more of a response to previous posts. We should leave the comparisons to the OP.

...I don't like the idea that some chose to remove her scar from the her forehead. I would understand if it was a some sort of a layout, but this is a CV photo, it needs to depict her as she is in reality.

That was one of the main reasons I had previously made the comment:

... Also, as I'm sure everyone is aware, the choice of which features to minimize and which to let stand is a critical decision for retouchers and we see a good variety of thoughts on this subject in this exercise. ...

My personal opinion is that for a CV, the inclusion/removal of a scar like that is more of a personal preference. CVs are not ID photos. The purpose of a CV is usually to capture the interest of a potential employer and get the applicant an interview, at which time the applicant will be seen in the flesh with all bumps, warts, and scars present in their full splendor, makeup not withstanding, LOL.

In contrast, ID photos absolutely must always be as life-like as possible -- no question about that. For example, as I recall, the US passport office only allows color and exposure correction, nothing more.

T

...Color correction is the biggest problem I see in comparing all versions...
...which was not a request in the OP's original specification and shouldn't really be considered at all. ...

I agree with Sam that the image that she posted had a fairly serious color problem, and we saw various amounts of effort expended by the responders to remedy it.

I feel that in almost all cases in the free request forum, we are doing the visitor a favor if we go beyond what they specifically asked to do and, as a matter of course, take care of severe cases of common problems like color correction. In fact, I would say that it behooves us to do so if we have the time and the interest in expending the extra energy to help out a visitor.

Don't forget that that the people who post in this forum almost never are other experienced photographers and graphic designers who know exactly what they want. They are likely are viewing their image on a low quality, uncalibrated monitor compared to what most of us are using, so they actually have very little idea if their starting image has a color problem or not. In addition, very few of the visitors to this forum are as well trained as we are with respect to noticing color problems, and likely have little experience in accurately articulating them.

IMHO, there is absolutely no downside to presenting work that is done to the best of our abilities (time constraints not withstanding). If one of us makes a color correction that they really don't like, they will let us know. For example I've seen guests say things like, "I like the colors in post #n but the sharpness from post #m, any chance you can combine them?", or, "thanks for the change you made, but believe it or not, the purple in my hair isn't coming from the lights in the disco, but is the actual color of my hair".

Just my $0.02,

Tom M

Back