What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Glasses

Great job Chris.
I must be getting slow or I just haven't had enough coffee this morning, I was baffled by the term "ILLY". The urban dictionary defines it a fresh, cool, or sick. Then it hit me.................Illustrator. Duh!

They sure look good, so I tried them on, but they hurt my nose. I think they need inkpads or nosepads or sumptin' :p .

T

I like those....Hey Mikey... You have Photoshop, fixem.:mrgreen:

Nice use of ILLY to do this. Was about to say - try distorting the frame behind the glass. But realized they may not be prescriptions... lol

Good job.

Great job Chris.
I must be getting slow or I just haven't had enough coffee this morning, I was baffled by the term "ILLY". The urban dictionary defines it a fresh, cool, or sick. Then it hit me.................Illustrator. Duh!

Eric had his Blackie.... lol. "ILLY"... haven't heard that in a long time.

Great Stuff! looks like 3D glasses.

When you say Illustrator won't save in Jpeg, do you mean your specific Illustrator or Illustrator in general?

I'm sure that you can save it as a Jpeg when you export from Illustrator

Hi Superiorsyed,

Well, I create the file in Illustrator, so it's a .AI file in my folder. But when I "save as", .jpg is not a choice. So I had to open the file in Photoshop and then save it as a .jpg.

If you know of a better way, your guidance is welcome.

OFC.

I used to do the same in the beginning. If you go to file, you'l find an export option. From there you can save it to many formats, and you'l find Jpeg there as well :)

OK, let's see the difference...

glasses, illy to psd.jpg

Hmmm...no difference in quality between the my method and yours, but of course yours is faster.

I still see the jagged expression of pixelation along the tops of each frame, the pixelation being a result of changing formats from .AI (super sharp and straight as a laser) to .JPG (which can't handle that and resorts to pixelation).

Any suggestions on addressing that?

...I still see the jagged expression of pixelation along the tops of each frame, the pixelation being a result of changing formats from .AI (super sharp and straight as a laser) to .JPG (which can't handle that and resorts to pixelation). Any suggestions on addressing that?

Unfortunately, the "export" dialog of AI (CS6) only seems to give the option of anti-aliasing text, so it's not a fix-all solution.

You can always adjust the ppi setting in AI to say, 2x higher than you currently use. This will give you an image that has larger pixel dimensions than you actually need and then down-rez that to your final pixel dimensions. Down-rez'ing algorithms like Lanczos, bicubic (normal), etc. all will blur sharp edges slightly.

Within PS, there are several ways to reduce the stairstepping:

1) Import the JPG that you just produced in AI file into PS, go to the "Save for Web & Devices" dialog box, and change the blur setting (see attached screen shot) to something like 0.3 or 0.4 pixel, and then save as a JPG from there.

2) Once an image is in PS, I use Power Retouche Pro's Anti-Aliasing plugin for more control than the blur setting in the "save for web" dialog.

3) Again, if you are in PS, you can do it yourself: Select edges and give them a slight Gaussian blur (again, around 0.3 or 0.4 px).

HTH,

Tom M

Attachments

• save_for_web_jpg_dialog.jpg
    save_for_web_jpg_dialog.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 14
So, what is the problem with saving it as a png? Wouldn't this remove the pixelated edge appearance? Why would jpeg be necessary?

Hi Clare - The problem is for given pixel dimensions, the stair-step artifacts on hard edges are not caused by conversion to JPG. So, it won't solve the OP's current problem if he switches to png. JPG artifacts look like blocks,lines and spikes of pixels in the vicinity of each high contrast edge, not stair steps on the edge itself.

The attached uses local contrast enhancement to exaggerate the JPG artifacts. They are most easily seen in the background within a few pixels of the ear pieces.

T

Attachments

• glasses-AI_to_psd-PSG_inline_version-fullrez_downrez_by_PSG_software-01_enh_edge_efx-incl_jpg_ar.jpg
    glasses-AI_to_psd-PSG_inline_version-fullrez_downrez_by_PSG_software-01_enh_edge_efx-incl_jpg_ar.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
When I first skimmed this thread, I hadn't noticed that the forum upload software was playing a big role in the problem pointed out by the OP.

To illustrate this, first, take a look at a crop of the OP's original image at 1:1 magnification. Notice that even at this extreme magnification, there is minimal stair-stepping and JPG artifacts.

Attachments

• glasses-AI_to_psd-full_rez-tight_crop-100_pct_mag.jpg
    glasses-AI_to_psd-full_rez-tight_crop-100_pct_mag.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 9
Next, here is the in-line thumbnail generated by PSG's image uploading software. It's the worst case. It shows both stairstepping and JPG artifacts.

Attachments

• glasses-AI_to_psd-PSG_inline_version-fullrez_downrez_by_PSG_software.jpg
    glasses-AI_to_psd-PSG_inline_version-fullrez_downrez_by_PSG_software.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 8
And here is the low-rez version produced by the OP . Both the stair-stepping and the JPG artifacts are a bit less than those in the version produced by PSG's uploader, but it still is far from perfect.

Attachments

• glasses-AI_to_psd-PSG_inline_version-downrez_by_OP.jpg
    glasses-AI_to_psd-PSG_inline_version-downrez_by_OP.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Back