What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help! Photoshop has gone pink!

Lynn1666

I have Adobe Photoshop CS5 & have been using it happily for some time; however, last night the colour picker refused to give me white, or any colour lighter than a pale pink.

When I flattened an image with a supposedly white ground & posted it on the internet, it looks as though a mauve veil had suffused the whole thing.

What do I do to get whites back again? - or how do I reset the whole thing to whatever the default was?

Please help!

Thank you,

Lynn

Hallo, Paul -

Thank you so much for this; it looks just like what I need... I shall go away and try it now!

Thank you again very much for responding so quickly to my message -

Lynn

Please come back with your results, i think it will sort the issue out.

Please come back with your results, i think it will sort the issue out.

No - I'm afraid that it's still pink; I did everything in the video; but in the Preference settings I didn't touch any of the things which adjust colours, as I didn't know what I was doing...

Are other programs exhibiting a pink cast? For example, your word processor or your web browser ... or is it just Photoshop? If it's just PS, do you see the problem if you open up an old psd file, or does it only occur on new work in PS?

T

Hallo, Tom -

Thank you so much for replying to me. No, the WP and browser are fine, and all images LOOK all right & are not pink. However, the colour-picker won't let me choose a white - just a very pale pink, and when this is uploaded to the internet, the whole image has a pink cast, and white areas are a sort of fuchsia colour...

OK. Then I agree with resetting the PS preference file, as Paul suggested.

Let us know how it works out.

T

Thanks for posting your psd file. I opened it and found a couple of surprising things.

The first can be seen in the attached image: There is no pink cast anywhere to be seen, and the background for the text is transparent, not a solid color. This tells me that the file is fine up to the point at which you flatten it.

screen_shot-showing_transparent_bkgnd-698px_wide.jpg

However, like you, when I flatten your file, I get a light pink background. However, you will notice that if you place the eyedropper tool over the pink background, it reads 255,255,255, ie, what should be pure white.

This is a dead giveaway. The only way PS will display 255,255,255 as anything other than pure white is if the profile for the color space is telling it to do so. My next step was to inspect the color profile: Yup, it is not a color space profile, but a device profile (see 2nd attached image).

screen_shot-original_color_space.jpg

To demonstrate that this is exactly the problem, before flattening, I went to edit / assign profile and just arbitrarily assigned sRGB to this image. Now, when I flatten it, the 255,255,255 background turns pure white, exactly as expected.

Unfortunately, it's easy to confuse (input and output) device color profiles with color space profiles, and you managed to do this. Both types of files end in *.icm and are formatted identically.

If you are running your scanner from either software that came with it, or 3rd party scanner control software, e.g., Hamrick's VueScan, SilverFast, etc. the software should put out files in one of the standard color spaces, eg, sRGB, AdobeRGB, ProPhotoRGB, or possibly one of the many CMYK variants. Under no circumstances should it put out a file with the SF_T (Artix ArtixScan 1800f) embedded color profile. If it's doing this, it is set up incorrectly. Unfortunately, not knowing what scanning software you are using, I can't help you further.

HTH,

Tom M

Thank you so much, Tom - that's completely amazing!

I did exactly what you said, flattened it, uploaded it, and it's perfect! I am SO grateful, as I thought that something horrendous had happened within Photoshop, which I wouldn't be able to reverse.

I should point out, though, that elements of this - ie the frame - were scanned several years ago, and have always behaved; it was something I did last night, when I added the text, and I still don't know what it was.

However, at least I now know what to do to change the image back, and I couldn't be more grateful.

Thank you again,
and very best wishes,

Lynn

Back