What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is nothing safe.

SPWA

Power User
I have recently done a few things for a client who paid full amount & ontime into my paypal. After 3 works finished, and everyone happy, my paypal became comprimised.

The 1st worrying thing is I had no notification emails, so they took control & changed everything without me even knowing about it.

Secondly, after speaking to the Fraud department of Paypal, they tell me the email now in control of my account is registered to the same IP address as recent payments.

Luckily, I cancelled my card, and it looks as though nothing was taken from the bank, and the paypal is now locked.

It is sad that there are people of such questionable morals is this world. Be careful out there.

This part sounds strange, but maybe I am misinterpreting this:

Secondly, after speaking to the Fraud department of Paypal, they tell me the email now in control of my account is registered to the same IP address as recent payments.

How can PayPal know what IP address registered or is in control of an email account?

The plot thickens da DAH DAAAH:mrgreen:

Tracking an email IP is extremely easy. You can do it over the internet. Some will even tell you what social sites the email is connected to.

Tracking an email IP is extremely easy. You can do it over the internet. Some will even tell you what social sites the email is connected to.

Sorry but either I am misunderstanding you or this makes no sense.

It's not likely that the attacker would send an email to PayPal. They would have no reason to do so.

Without an email message sent from the account, PayPal has absolutely no way to obtain the IP address of the client/user/owner of an email account.

An email address alone does not have it's own IP address. A client/user could send mail through one email account from multiple IP addresses (hundreds or even thousands of different IP's if they wanted to). Attackers will usually use multiple proxies and change IP frequently.

Even if PayPal had the originating IP that an email was sent from, I don't think they would not disclose this kind of information to you.

Be careful not to fall for phishing scams, they are extremely common and this sounds like it could be one.

The 1st worrying thing is I had no notification emails, so they took control & changed everything without me even knowing about it.

This part doesn't make sense either, unless your own email account was compromised.

If the email address in your PayPal account was changed, PayPal would send an email to your original email address notifying you about the change.

If the attacker gained access to your email account first, that could explain how they got into your PayPal account and why you didn't see any emails about these transactions. The attacker could have deleted the emails before you saw them. Otherwise I can't think of any way they could change the email in your PayPal account without you getting a notification.

Be sure to change your email password and check the recovery options, as well as make sure your PC is free of malware, otherwise you may lose more than your PayPal account.

Good luck. I hope it is resolved without any financial loss to you.

It's not likely that the attacker would send an email to PayPal. They would have no reason to do so.

They were able to verify that the account belongs to my wife & I through a telephone number attached to the account & the original email used to set up the account.

The email address that was currently being used as the primary (as changed by the hacker), and the email address used to send money to me from the client (different email address) both have the same IP address.

Now, I wasn't aware you could check, so I tried mine, and the Mother in Law's (she lives next door) email to test, and they have different IP address's

But yeah, I changed my email password & cancelled the bank card.

Last edited:
Are you saying that the person who paid you for design work was also the attacker that compromised your PayPal account?

I can't say for sure, but it does look suspicious. My initial point though was to be careful, as it appears to be an easy thing to do.

Back