What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop Challenge Week #9

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
my name is Alex! :D hi paul! sorry, not taking the pi**, just being a thicko XD

Last edited:

Paul

Former Member
I want my avatar name changed by a mod or above please.

Paul

Former Member
It's my real name, i wonder if the ads can back date it to every post here some how?

Paul

Former Member
I was going to join with the user name of Paul, but i just stayed with the one i have been using for years.

ibclare

Queen Bee
another go at it

Nice Melissa. Like Paul said, blending is getting there but the face is still a problem. It is not on the head far enough and looks like a mask. Move it in and up and let the model's face show through so you don't need to worry about the hair. You are using a layer mask right? As for warping it slightly, I would suggest making a separate document of just the model's head and yours side by side and playing around with it.

Using transformation, like Paul suggested can give pretty surprising results. Use warp and distort, and try holding down, ctl or alt (cmd/opt) while you drag a handle, especially ctl for this kind of angle adjustment. The way I would approach it would be first to hold down ctl, select lower right hand corner and move it up slowly. When it looked like it was at the right angle, more or less, I'd choose warp (just right click and choose warp on the menu that comes up) and experiment: squish the left side of the face in and pull the right side cheek out ever so slightly. At this point there might be some rotation to make. Either I'd choose that by right clicking or I'd apply transformation and see where I'm at with the angles. Warp too much and you'll lose detail, pixels get all stretched out, blurred, squished, etc. Make multiple layers of your face so you can play and compare.

Worst comes to worst . . . ctl z.

So, presuming you are using a layer mask, once you get the colors of each face as close as possible, you can blend more by using a very soft (0 hardness) brush at a low opacity and mix the faces at the seams. Switch back and forth from white to black as needed. This kind of technique is probably better for the kind of compositing like I did in 9-23 where I was able to add the dark grungy complexions over the photos. You can also see in that what a bit too much warping produces in the lower face.

So last suggestion, play, enjoy. Keep up the good work. Cheers, Clare

BCkjn

My first try at this. Glad someone pointed out this is just for the fun of it to help get a better feel for working with PS. Was not as had as I thought and might do another one. I liked teh Alice in Wonderland Vafann did.

publicenemieso.jpg

ibclare

Queen Bee
My first try at this. Glad someone pointed out this is just for the fun of it to help get a better feel for working with PS. Was not as had as I thought and might do another one. I liked teh Alice in Wonderland Vafann did.

Just to let you know I like.

Hey mods, my "like" buttons have disappeared! They're back now, weird.

Last edited:

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
Yeah, hmmmmm, I don't get it, you just posted the same picture twice??
XD, really good one Zee! (OK if I don't call you Alex all the time?)
XD thanks :p you can call me what you wish so long as it isnt offensive :D

Last edited:

ibclare

Queen Bee
Ok, this was MUCH harder than I thought it was going to be . . . the results of my trials with
this are seriously lacking lol, I almost don´t want to post it, but I might as well...

I (tried to) mix me with this... omg it really sucks lol..

omg, no it doesn't. In fact, it's very cool, "iced" as one of my fav fiction characters says. I'm glad you posted it. He makes a marvelous subject to play with. One suggestion based on what I would like to see (it's all about me you know LOL). Bring out the eyebrows more and cover yours, and maybe bring some more of that cheek and under eye red color up -- to give you that crazed look! You might even try a little liquify, maybe bloat tool on the eyes for yet more mad Vafann expression. :mrgreen:

MelissaV

I'm rather new here and already I can see I was missing out on great people. I've always enjoyed helping others but finding a crowd of like minded people in one spot is a great feeling seeing you all help and encourage one another here. Thank you for making me feel welcome.

Thank you ibclare and "Paul" for your wonderful advice and encouragement. I am really happy to see everyone going in nose first with me. I originally posted my first help request here about this very same thing and later that evening "Paul" wrote up this challenge. Needless to say if he had not I would still be lost. The good is I'm learning something I've always wanted to do and having fun sharing the experience with new friends. I love this community already. You guys are all awesome. Thanks for the encouragement and support. I am going to play THIS time with warp and liquify ... *cringes* at liquify... I feel like I'm in school and you all are the..um school staff and administration helping the students along ensuring that they graduate. lol

OK back to work. Oh btw all the new entries AWESOME I see I'm not the only one trying this for the first time and seeing it's really fun to do. I honestly thought I'd have only one entry but now I am pushing the envelope... I like challenging myself and I don't feel alone anymore doing it.

Mel

BCkjn

My version of the Mad Hatter. Mack up was harder than I thought and I ended up using a mask layer to get the eyes to look better.
madhattera.jpg

ibclare

Queen Bee
Thought I posted this already, not much, but fun to make:

Attachments

• coraline_sources.jpg
    coraline_sources.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 23
  • coraline.jpg
    coraline.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 1
  • coraline_close-up.jpg
    coraline_close-up.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Paul

Former Member
Woo, them are some impressive babies Paul! But "Blow a Wobbler??" lol. I have respect for spiders but no fear. They are necessary and useful. Besides any good witch loves a good spider.

Steve pointed out that my Aussie phrase returned a single page to myself with Google.