What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retouching a 'half faded photo'

MauricioSilva

Hello,

I have a question. I recently found an old photo. However there is a red fade in about a quarter of the photo. I was wondering if it's possible to retouch only this section of the photo and make the fade go away so you'll end up with a perfect photo. It's kind of hard te describe, but I ncluded a example photo of what I mean.

I hope somebody can help.

Example photo (in the real photo the fade is not in a perfect rectangle):
2wddn2q.png

Yes it is possible but you need to have a good understanding of adjustment layers and what each 1 does.

And then being able to know how to make the adjustments only effect certain parts of the photo.

You can do the bulk of it with just a curves adjustment layer and a channel mixer layer however you get an obvious line between the red section and the normal section of the pic.

This is where you have to add colour balance, Hue saturation exposures, brightness and more curves layer to try and get a happy middle point.

Start of by getting the marquee tool and selecting the red section of the image select a curves adjustment layer but delete the layer mask by right clicking it. With your selection made apply a new layer mask ( you may need to invert it.

Select the red channel and tweak it. The rest you will just have to play with the different adjustment layers.

Capture.JPG

Ok this is cheap and I wouldnt reccommend doing it for good results this is what happens when you select the square panel that is red desaturate it and manually recolour the image it is no where near perfect but with a bit of time you could get there. (which I dont have) But for best results I say make whole image black and white then colour it all in not much to it really as most of it is black and white anyway. If you have a higher resolution pic I will have a go at it later on for you with a proper restoration.
2wddn2q.png

I am guessing this is a film sourced image and by that, it looks like the shutter box has had a leak of light into it. Nice Job though Hoogle :thumbsup:

The original as not been submitted what H as worked with is the uploaded version.

Ah yes I can see it now Paul, but the methods H has used would still work the same, of course depending on the damage of the original image.

XV1 - This used to be a common occurrence with the last few frames of a roll of film not advancing properly. You would often get the double exposure as well. Like Paul said, it's about too much light on the film.

This is more what it would usually look like:
last frame_01.jpg

Last edited:

Back