What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can I add a weld look to an image?

mryder30

I've been working with Photoshop CS6 Standard for all of 3 days so I am sure I will sound rather ridiculous when asking questions.

Anyways, I have a picture I am working on of a pawn on a metal plate. I want to get the pawn to look as if it was welded artistically onto the piece of metal plate, ie: similar to the Mythbusters sign (figure 2) but more along the lines of a weld line (figure3) just more raised up. I can't even get it close to what my vision is.

I listed computer specs down low just in case.

Thank you all in advance for any help.

Figure 1
pawn2.png

Figure 2
mythbusters.jpg

Figure 3
weld1.jpg

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
System RAM: 8189 MB
CPU Name: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
CPU Speeds: 2400
Physical CPUs: 1
Virtual CPUs: 4
Video Card Description: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280
VRAM: 1024 MB
Primary Display Resolution: 1600x900
Multi-Monitor Desktop Resolution: 1600x900
Microphone: True
Language: English (United States)
Free Hard Drive Space: 406572 MB
Total Hard Drive Space: 700002 MB
Windows Experience Index Rating: 5.9

if you select part of the weld line you can define a new brush
then you have to create a path around the pawn
then you can use brush dynamics so a line will follow the direction of the path and use spacing 55%
if you stroke the path the weldline will follow the path of the pawn
and then completing with some layer-effects
define brush with dynamics.jpgView attachment z.psd

welding.jpg

English would have been better for the majority mate, but yeah i think they would get it.

English would have been better for the majority mate, but yeah i think they would get it.

The problem is you cannot switch the language and some of us use Photoshop in their native language, so they do not have the option to show it in English. But I do believe just from comparing windows everybody understands, as long as it is not Chinese, Arabic or something similar ;-)

I think it would be best if you think of the pawn like how a metal worker would, and think of how you could make it out of steel plate. This way you will make it more believable as an image, and not just something overlayed with a fancy outline. Can I just point out that the figure 3 is of weld done on flat plate, rater then steal along an interior crease as is on the Mythbusters logo. I think this picture would give a more acurate profile of what the weld should look like.
View attachment 19675
Hope this helps

I think it would be best if you think of the pawn like how a metal worker would, and think of how you could make it out of steel plate. This way you will make it more believable as an image, and not just something overlayed with a fancy outline. Can I just point out that the figure 3 is of weld done on flat plate, rater then steal along an interior crease as is on the Mythbusters logo. I think this picture would give a more acurate profile of what the weld should look like.

Hope this helps

Would you be willing to do a small walkthrough or something of the sort? Peta62 got me going, definitely much farther then I would have been without his help.

Although it is a good start it keeps looking like the pawn just consists of a boring border and not necessarily welded on. I've played with every button in Photoshop today. I'm lacking the experience in it at this point.

Thanks for the continued help.

would be easier to help if you post your results.
if your copying colleague then to make it look more real you need to have the weld half way on the backplate and half way on the pawn.

Like spruce said it needs realism, i just played about for a bit, need more burn in the metal heat moves the metals structure creating heat transferred areas.

weld.jpg

Back