What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I pull my logo from this picture?

MonKENy

I want to pull the dove, branch and lettering from this logo. or at least remove all the background coloring so I can have a transparent logo for a new site Im designing. Ive never created a real website before. Ive never used PS before. Im using Godaddy website builder deluxe. Its for an Fundraising event we are doing next summer. It will be a host of a dozen different events at one location. Car Show and BBQ are the mainstays but we are doing a open mic, vendors, swap meet, Motorcycle poker run, art show, a whole bunch of stuff. So this site is a big undertaking for me. I have basically 30 days to build the site since I bought the 1 month host to see how well I can do. If I cant then oh well.

Attachments

• OBCC logo.png
    OBCC logo.png
    11 KB · Views: 9
I didnt see an edit button. But this is the most basic version I have of what Im trying to do bbqfestival dot org thats the free 1 page site that came w/the registration. I want to have it look similar to something like this olivbranchcounseling dot org (thats our main site). I doubt I will get it anything like that since that was created by someone w/have an ounce of knowledge about this kinda stuff.

If you have high resolution copy of this logo, you may be able to use select>color range and add a layer mask. With the mask in place, you can brush the edges to cleanup the boundaries of the image. I would advise recreating the text; just find out what font was used or locate one that is similar.

My personal choice would be to recreate the logo with the pen tool, tracing around it if you need to keep it exact. Otherwise, you could just create your own version.

I agree with you Clare. Getting some exposure to the pen tool is something any Ps'er will find invaluable. Sure it's a pain to learn in the beginning, but it's also one of the most indispensable tools Ps has. Alternatively, what I did was use the Color Range tool. Select>Color Range.. In the dialog box that opens, make sure "Sampled Colors" is showing, choose the "Image" radio button, set fuzziness to 200. Now underneath the save button are three eyedropper tools, select the first one on the left. Click into your image the color you want to delete and then click ok in the Color Range dialog box. You should see see a selection in your image based on the color you clicked on with the eyedropper tool. Press the delete key on your keyboard. If you find that what you deleted is not what you want, you can undo your last action by going to Edit>Undo or pressing Ctrl + Z at the same time, if you're using a MAC, I believe the keyboard shortcut is Cmd + Z. The first image is a JPEG without transparent background. The second is a PNG with transparent background.

Untitled-1.jpg Untitled-1.png

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
my go. you do the lettering and colors.
btw this is 1 minute thing, you should try to recreate it as ibclare suggested.
dove.jpg

ok. Ill give the letters a shot. I tried to use the color range but was having a hard to figuring out how it works. I would get the image but it was very uneven

Do you have a high resolution or larger version of it? Please upload it if you do.

Ibis and Chris, you guys are just way better with color range than I am, but it's not my favorite tool anyway. I used quick select and a mask for this result which is not very good. That's some recommendation, huh. But the resolution sucks so you can't even use refine edge or mask which I will use on jaggy images.

You won't get rid of the jaggedies on this one Ken.

I say, recreate it with the pen tool. You have 30 days to learn to use it. That should suffice. Here are a couple tutorials to get you started:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDrtyNmp3A4

http://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum...hotoshop-pen-tool-video-tutorial-tutcast.html

Hawkeye is gonna kill me. I misplaced the link to his concise explanation . . . I'll get it for you. Anyway, if it gets close to your expiration date, let me know and I'll help you out. Meantime, it'll be a great exercise for you. In the meantime, post your efforts and we'll give you tips.

Last edited:
When you work with the pen tool, I suggest you change the resolution to at least 200. That way when you activate the path for filling with color, you will get a smoother result.

ok, Im home tomorrow @ 6pm pac time so Ill start then and see what I can pull off. I did make an alien in an egg the otherday that came out decent. I tried making something on fire earlier but it was mediocre results. This will be my next test.

Thanks folks

ok so tracing it w/the pen tool should allow me to recreate the logo in better resolution as well I would imagine?

Im trying to fill in as I go and the wings have all filled in black like I want but the head wont fill, Its grey for some reason.

Last edited:
I am not sure what you mean by filling in as you go. Are you using the pen tool? If not, what are you using?

He might have the shape layer selected under the pen tool. I know that automatically creates a filled in shape layer as you use the pen tool.

Tapatalk² from my Optimus V

pen tool, shape, fill black, stroke black, on the head its completely closed I cant see any open spots but it wont fill.

Got here using only (you guessed it) blend if, and the eraser (to remove part of the bar at the bottom).
1.JPG
Grey background is just so you can see the edges.

You can get this using a combination of blend if sliders but I would recreate it personally.

If you want it here it is in a png.

OBCC%20logo copy.png

You know what? Since you are new to the pen tool, maybe we should look at your psd. Would you post it (just like a regular image) please? We just can't keep making guesses in the dark. We all have different ways of expressing our methods so it takes particular clarity to explain such issues as you're having.

Ah, Hawkeye, lol, but of course. I have already done the project in pen tool, though my olive branch is probably too eccentric to be olive (but that's fixable), but I think he would like to learn to do it so I didn't post mine yet. :mrgreen:

Why not leave the fill blank till you have done the path and made sure it is right, and then fill it with colour. When you have done all the solid shapes, you can add drop shadow and other stuff.

Then you can do something like this:-
View attachment 21273

me too. Im feeling kinda sick today. Not 100%...the phone rang and I answered my TV remote :(

Back