What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Re-touching a Sports Jersey.

eggo998

Hi, I'm new to the forum, as I'm sure you can see. With that being said, I came here to hopefully gain some insightful tips.

I recently attended a national paintball tournament. One of the photographers shooting the fields sent me a link to our team picture. I love the picture, but there's one major problem. I'm wearing number 11, however, due to a last minute roster change, I had to wear another teammate's jersey. I'm in the picture, but clearly the jersey says "MESA" instead of "NEAGO". I really like this photo and was wondering what the best course of action would be to re-touch the image to reflect my normal jersey. I did attempt to do so (as you can see below), but was ultimately unsatisfied with my result and was looking for some advice by more experienced users.

Here's the original (File size may be a bit big)

pspmao2012fri0145.jpg

To begin with, I tried to edit out "MESA" by using clone stamp and content-aware more or less to see if that would work (I'm new to PS and had heard about them). I didn't achieve the results I wanted, so I just defined a pattern from the image and pasted over Mesa. It looks ok, but there are still imperfections.

neago2.jpg

When I went to fiddle with the text, I just couldn't make it look "real". I messed around with the warp tool, skew, perspective, and so on. It just doesn't look consistent with the other jerseys. The closest text I found (in my presets), was Impact.

neago3.jpg

What would you guys recommend to make it look like an original image? Maybe somebody could point out specific steps that'd make it more realistic ad maybe provide an example image. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

is that good enough or you need it better? ( you still gonna see it just because you know its Photoshopped;)
if you could provide font that is used in original that could make it better. plus a little tweaking with warp tool. if you like you can also try to cut the empty part of shirt from 69, move it to your own blend it using lets say soft eraser tool and the use it as a Displacement Mask (google Displacement Mask tutorial and you will find one for sure) and it will fold the way shirt is folding
Art is never finished, only abandoned;) so you can always do it better
neago3.jpg

Thank you for your advice!!! PS has a steep learning curve, but I appreciate you making it a tad easier.

Back