What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

change the color or shadow on part of a gemstone

tjifvt

I'm trying to eliminate the dark shadow near the top of this gemstone so that it is all pink like the bottom part. I've tried creating a new layer and adjusting the fill color (like this video suggests: youtube.com/watch?v=96cFn9S4YF8) but no luck. Could someone suggest another method or point me to some instructions? Thank you very much.

IMG_3619_2 copy.jpg

One of the reasons you weren't happy with using a color fill approach is that the problem in those areas is not so much color as it is tone (ie, brightness). When the brightness of an area is that low, odd things happen to the color.

Other than reshooting the image with better lighting and a better lens (...which I highly recommend...), probably the easiest way to get closer to what you want using only post processing is to bring the image into ACR (or LR), go to the adjustment brush, put a "pin" in one of the darkest areas (as shown), and use the settings as shown to paint the remainder of the dark areas.

It's natural that even after lightening the dark areas, their saturation (ie, strength of color) will be more than other parts of the gem. That can also be adjusted, but I wouldn't go too far with that, otherwise it won't look natural.

HTH,

Tom M

PS - I took the liberty of spotting some of the imperfections in your image. I couldn't tell if they were dirt on the surface (which is OK to remove in post processing), or inclusions (which probably shouldn't be removed so as not to mislead the buyer), but I removed them anyway.

Attachments

• ACR_adjustment_brush_settings.jpg
    ACR_adjustment_brush_settings.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3619_2 copy-01_ps02a_600px_wide-01.jpg
    IMG_3619_2 copy-01_ps02a_600px_wide-01.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 17
If you want even lower contrast in the gem (ie, to show off it's interior colors better), you can move the image from ACR to PS and use the shadows / hilights tool on just the gem to yield something like this...

However, I wouldn't recommend going this far - I only showed it to demonstrate what can be done, not my recommendation. Obviously, one can always blend together different versions to obtain the level of the effect that you like. For example, I almost always blend back some of the original when I'm doing post processing to retain an organic feel to the final image and rein myself in if I've been too enthusiastic in the changes I've made.

T

Attachments

• IMG_3619_2 copy-01_ps02a_600px_wide-02_shad_hilites.jpg
    IMG_3619_2 copy-01_ps02a_600px_wide-02_shad_hilites.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 17
It would be so much easier to have used propper lighting when taking the photograph >_<

Back