What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knocking our a background from a similarly colored object

NicoleP

Sample Yogurt Cup.jpgSorry, I've quickly blocked out the cup images because it has my company's information.

What I am looking to do, is remove the grey/white background from the white/grey yogurt cup. I am working with high resolution TIFF files for this project.

Any automated option (magic wand, magic eraser, magnetic lasso) is having troubles telling the difference between cup and background. Any time I try to do it by hand, I'm left with jagged edges.

Is there any way to do this in an efficient and effective manner? I have about 35 product images that I need to have with a crisp edge and transparent background.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
NicoleP.

The background and the object or similarly colored so you'll probably not find an automated option for this. If you use the pen tool, you should be able to quickly trace the object and remove the background that way. You can feather your selection if you're still getting jagged edges.

Try converting to B/W see if you can pull contrast with the edge...or use the pen tool with hi res tiffs you can see them at least!

I agree with the pen tool. It can be a bit tricky to learn to use well, but it is very effective for this type of work. Even using refine edge will be of little help. I tried B&W and levels adjustment and it was still too close. Maybe threshold? JK.

I would also agree to the Pen Tool for this kind of job. I played around with a few different techniques on your example photo with varying results, none being better than what I could get with the pen tool. The purple paint cover-up did not help much! Heheeee.

Like everyone else, the pen tool would be my 1st choice, but, if you aren't familiar with the pen tool, even the quick selection tool (...I note that the OP did not mention this...) does a very good job on something like this. If need be, just touch up the occasional problem area with the polygonal lasso tool (... also not mentioned by the OP... perhaps he is using a very old version of PS?).

Using the quick select and polygonal lasso tools, I made the following selection in well under a minute and dropped in a gradient background to show off the selection.

The attachments show an overview image followed by two pairs of b4-after comparisons of potential problem areas, cropped at full (1:1) resolution. For under a minute of work making the selection, I think these tools did quite well, and the few remaining problems could be easily and quickly be taken care of.

T

Attachments

• Sample_Yogurt_Cup-tjm01_acr-ps03a_698px_hi-01.jpg
    Sample_Yogurt_Cup-tjm01_acr-ps03a_698px_hi-01.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Sample_Yogurt_Cup-tjm01_acr-ps02a-02_uRHC_b4.jpg
    Sample_Yogurt_Cup-tjm01_acr-ps02a-02_uRHC_b4.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 22
  • Sample_Yogurt_Cup-tjm01_acr-ps02a-03_uRHC_after.jpg
    Sample_Yogurt_Cup-tjm01_acr-ps02a-03_uRHC_after.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Sample_Yogurt_Cup-tjm01_acr-ps02a-04_lowerLHC_b4.jpg
    Sample_Yogurt_Cup-tjm01_acr-ps02a-04_lowerLHC_b4.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Sample_Yogurt_Cup-tjm01_acr-ps02a-05_lowerLHC_after.jpg
    Sample_Yogurt_Cup-tjm01_acr-ps02a-05_lowerLHC_after.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 20
Tom, what settings are you using on the quick select? I tried it multiple ways as I use it all the time for easy selections such as contrasting BGs. I will adjust it and play around with it some, but mostly leave it where I last used it and ignore any adjustments, even if they might be helpful. I think I can improve that if I learn more about it.

With this image I had the left edge of the cup particularly moving back and forth, but yes, the polygonal lasso tool (which has been around forever and my nemesis, the magic wand) would have taken care of that. That cup lip looked tricky and maybe I should have zoomed in a lot more so I could make an accurate assessment. I guess I have to admit to laziness here since it wasn't my work, but also it just seemed to me that for professional purposes, the pen tool gives the cleanest, most reliable edge.

Since I have become relatively proficient with the pen tool, it has made so many selections easier and far cleaner. I hardly ever use refine edge or refine mask, almost never in fact.

Hi Clare - As you know, I'm also a big fan of the pen tool, but it didn't sound like the OP was, hence my suggestion.

To respond to your question, let me get back to you late tonight. I want to give you the full scoop on how to do it.

Unfortunately, I've got to run out for a while.

Tom

PS - @clare - I can't resist a quick teaser:

To make the automatic selection tools work better on images like this, make a new version of the image with the contrast and saturation cranked up to the max. Then, use the automatic selection tools on the retinal-burning version. When you have a nice selection, throw away those temporary layers and the selection will work just fine on the original.

As I mentioned in my previous post, the real trick to using the quick select tool in difficult situations is to make a throw-away version of the image with the contrast and color differences (ie, saturation and vibrance) pumped up to the max, and then use that version of the image to give the automatic selection tools (like quick select) a much easier task. If the starting image is noisy, the above process amplifies the noise, so I first run the image through a NR step.

BTW, in a case like this, instead of trying to select the inside of the cup, select the background which has much less structure and hence, requires less fiddly work. For this demo, I used the quick selection tool with r = 35 pixels (a moderate size), with "enhance edges" ON.

After selecting the background, there will usually be some problem areas, so the next step is to switch the quick select tool to subtract mode and run it around the inside edge of the cup. If necessary, I'll zoom in and decrease the radius of the tool (in the de-select mode). That usually gets rid of >95% of the problems. Any remaining ones are usually tiny and can be taken care of in seconds with the polygonal lasso tool.

If the subject has a fairly simple edge, I'll generally use the pen tool, but if it has a jagged / complicated edge, I'll use the method outlined above, possibly modifying it with localized applications of "refine edges", particularly for hair, smoke and other whispy things.

BTW, the use of a temporary version of the image with contrast and saturation maxed out works equally well with 3rd party plug-in selection tools like onOne's "Mask Pro" and Topaz's ReMask, the only two commercial selection tools I still have left on my system. In fact, one of them features this technique in an old video tutorial. If I can find it, I'll post the link.

The attached screen grabs should be reasonably self-explanatory, except that I can't put them in the order I prefer, so use their file names as captions.

The only additional comments I'll make are:

a) the screen grab of the entire cup shows the selection immediately after selecting the background and de-selecting the interior, but BEFORE any tweaks with the polygonal lasso tool, so it's at the "95%" state that I mentioned above.

b) this procedure takes vastly more time to describe it than to actually do it. If a selection task looks like it might be a problem (and I don't feel like using the pen), I just automatically make the garish version and use it to make the selection. There's nothing ever subtle about it, and it never needs to be tweaked -- almost anything you do helps out the automatic selection tools.

c) the final result of this process can be seen in my previous post where I replaced the original background with a color gradient.

HTH,

Tom

Attachments

• temporary_layer_stack_to_make_selection_easy.jpg
    temporary_layer_stack_to_make_selection_easy.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 14
  • curve_used_to_enh_edge_contrast.jpg
    curve_used_to_enh_edge_contrast.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 14
  • vib_and_sat_maxed_out.jpg
    vib_and_sat_maxed_out.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 14
  • quick_select_background-r35.jpg
    quick_select_background-r35.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 14
  • only_pblm_area_on_LHS.jpg
    only_pblm_area_on_LHS.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 14
  • only_pblm_area_on_LHS_fixed_with_polygonal_lasso.jpg
    only_pblm_area_on_LHS_fixed_with_polygonal_lasso.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 14
  • only_pblm_area_on_RHS.jpg
    only_pblm_area_on_RHS.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 14
  • only_pblm_area_on_RHS_fixed_with_poly_lasso_r1.jpg
    only_pblm_area_on_RHS_fixed_with_poly_lasso_r1.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 14
  • last_pblm_area_is_lower_RHC.jpg
    last_pblm_area_is_lower_RHC.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 0
  • last_pblm_area_in_lower_RHC_fixed_with_poly_lasso_tool.jpg
    last_pblm_area_in_lower_RHC_fixed_with_poly_lasso_tool.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
View attachment Sample Yogurt Cup.psd

Use the Pen Tool.

Don't think of it as Work. Think of it as a Time Saver.

Save Your Path. This File has a Saved Path that can be Easily Adjusted with Transform Path Tool under the Edit Menu.

Use that Same Path for all 35 Cups.

Take Care,

-Tracy Mapes

Back