What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to add two fades on two different sides?

Windows7

Power User
Hi guys,

Yep i'm still a newbie.. :) but i've got a big problem where i stuck with a very long time and that is that i add a layer mask and then a gradient tool to fade in(on the affiche/flyer).. but then i add a new layer mask to make another DIFFERENT fade on the other side of the pic but it don't work... then the first fade dissappear and vice versa... .

Can someone tell me please how to solve this problem?

Here an image:

Naamloos99.jpg

Look good to the fade on the left side.. that is what i want on the ride side too..

Last edited:
The second mask on the same layer is a vector mask.... Duplicate that first layer with the mask on it and put a gradient from the other side.

The second mask on the same layer is a vector mask.... Duplicate that first layer with the mask on it and put a gradient from the other side.

Not the same I know, but you can come close to that by simply adding a feathered mask against a white layer, enter delete and you have similar look.

It don't work man.. weird but then the first fade dissappears.. :s:s:s

Here's the proof:

Naamloos99.jpg

Not the same I know, but you can come close to that by simply adding a feathered mask against a white layer, enter delete and you have similar look.

How do i add a feather mask?

Last edited:
Use a black to transparent gradient on the layer mask it should work perfect for you from each side.

Here is an example of a feathered mask being used for a photo border. I didn't get it even but you'll get the idea.
In this one, I used the rectangular selection tool. Set my feather to 10 pixels. Drew out my selection inside the photo. Then put a white layer behind it. Invert the mask, hit delete and you got it. Principle is the same for anything you want to do with it.
Feather.JPG
Here is your image with the feathered mask applied. You can increase the amount of feather to give more effect.
Sexy.JPG

Last edited:
final image.png

First i used the layers tab at the top in Photoshop and added a layer mask at the same time adding hide all in the fly out menu.

Then used the black to white gradient to fade out one side. Once that was done i right click on the layer mask and hit apply...

Once you hit apply you no longer have a separate layer mask .

I then just repeated the first masking again for the other side. added a layer below the image and filled it with white.

Buy using this method i can control the angle and depth of the gradient to form the masking affects to whatever size i like .

Last edited:
Here's another way to do it...........

Add a new layer, right click and select create clipping mask. Select your gradient tool and the "Foreground to transparent" gradient. Make sure white is your foreground color and apply gradient to highlighted clipping mask.

claudia-sampedro6_1.png

Screen Shot 2013-06-10 at 5.41.15 PM.png

So many ways.....

I just figured out another way of doing it with one (reg) layer mask.

You have to have the white BG though.

Add a layer mask to your image, select your gradient tool and the "Foreground to transparent" gradient. Apply the gradient to the left side of the mask first moving the cursor from left to right, tick the "reverse" box and apply the gradient to the right side of the mask STILL moving the cursor from left to right!

Or, in other words, click the reverse box and just apply the gradient always working from the center outward on either side!

Last edited:

Back