What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to do this...

jeffadkins51

Hello everyone, this is my first post here, this looks like a great community with a wealth of information and I can't wait to crawl through the website finding tidbits here and there that can improve my photography and Photoshop skills.

I could use some help figuring out a certain "look" that I've seen in a lot of photos and was helping some of you guru folk could help me figure out how this is is being done.

1267553_511217935630859_458453909_o.jpg

This is a photo by Quinn Miller, well, ok it's two photos, but the one that I'm concerned with is the one on the left of the couple holding hands. Learning how to create that "effect" or "look" is driving me mad, I've messaged a few photographers that I've seen use it and nobody seems to want to divulge their secrets... I'm not some big wedding photographer trying to steal their look or anything, I've never charged for my photography I just like taking family pictures, and I would really love to be able to reproduce that "look" or "effect" because something about it just feels right to me.

If anyone could help me figure this out, I'd really appreciate it <3
-Jeff

Attachments

• TheLook.jpg
    TheLook.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 3
Your image lower the saturation of it by say 30%, with a new layer over the top filled with white lower opacity say 40% and set to screen mode is one quick way, you could also add another layer in brown set at say 50% saturation.

From your comments, it sounds like u realize that the desaturated, low contrast, yellow cast is/was very popular in pro engagement photography. In fact, "looks" like this were so popular that a minor cottage industry sprung up selling photoshop "actions" to generate that, and similar looks. Unfortunately, I'm still a couple of hundred miles away from my photoshop computer, otherwise I could give you some direct links to the developers of relevant actions, some free, others not. However, just go to Google Images and search for "photoshop actions engagement", and you will likely find some u like.

That being said, Paul gave u a good do-it-yourself method, and there are many other DIY approaches that can be used to get similar "looks". However, no matter what approach u are considering, DIY or a canned action, you will almost always have to adjust the method (using native PS tools) based on the content of the specific image you want to apply it to. In fact, often the adjustments needed to make a canned "action" do what u want are so extensive that you probably should have just done it yourself from scratch in the first place. LOL.

Now that I think of it, the reason you may not have received satisfactory responses from photographers you asked might be because they are using a commercial "action" and simply have never looked under the hood to see how it actually works.

HTH,

TomM

Thank you Paul.
Thank you Tom.

I'm going to try the manual method in the morning, at some point I may pick up a few of the actions just so that I can flip through them to get some ideas / inspiration, so whenever you get back or get around to it if you remember to let me know which ones you've tried and what you think that'd be awesome, in the meantime I'll try the manual method and try to get proficient with it!

Thanks again guys, much appreciated,
-Jeff

Wait a minute here... lol... I've owned Topaz Restyle since the day it was released.... I bought it for my landscape photography & because I love all of Topaz's stuff...

So this whole time I've had the plugin that can do this and I didn't even know it? *facepalm*

I have never tried using it on photos of anything other than landscapes... ok, time to give that a shot, I'll let you know how it works =D

-Jeff

Just checked it out Tom, I can't believe I never tried to use it for anything other than landscapes. To be honest I had never really been impressed with it, I pretty much just bought it because it was on a great sale the day it came out and because everyone on google+ in the circles I hang out in was raving about the new Topaz plugin, I liked all of their other stuff, especially adjust, clarity & detail, so I bought it, but hadn't used it much since then. Now that I see what this thing can do with this kind of shot, I think it just became my new favorite plugin!

You guys are awesome, think I found a new place to hang out here at photoshop gurus =D

Wait a minute here... lol... I've owned Topaz Restyle since the day it was released.... I bought it for my landscape photography & because I love all of Topaz's stuff...

So this whole time I've had the plugin that can do this and I didn't even know it? *facepalm*

I have never tried using it on photos of anything other than landscapes... ok, time to give that a shot, I'll let you know how it works =D

-Jeff

Yep Jeff....restyle will work.

I see a soft. yellowish image...This "style" must be new. most shooters I know wouldn't want this out....BUT I am dated and olde...I loke the soft dreamy look, but not for weddings.

That said by using Vibrance in reverse, and throwing a bit of blur you can mimic this look. Restyle will do it in a couple of clicks.

Yep Jeff....restyle will work.

I see a soft. yellowish image...This "style" must be new. most shooters I know wouldn't want this out....BUT I am dated and olde...I loke the soft dreamy look, but not for weddings.

That said by using Vibrance in reverse, and throwing a bit of blur you can mimic this look. Restyle will do it in a couple of clicks.

Ah, it was too late last night to really get into looking at the sliders in restyle, I'll do that here today when I wake up just a touch.

But if I wanted to play with doing this in photoshop you're saying I should slide vibrance down a bit, add a little bit of gaussian blur, and then maybe bump the yellows in hue/saturation just a bit or maybe add a yellow layer at a low opacity in screen or something like that?

Btw I like that you looked at it and really broke it down as a "soft, yellowish image", I mean I see that now that you said it, but I hadn't seen it that way before, I need to start seeing things like that if I want to be able to figure this sort of stuff out on my own... *mental note*

Thanks Mike!
-Jeff

No problem Jeff....Topaz is a lot of fun to play with, BUT good ole PS will do the same thing for you, albeit not with a couple of clicks or slides. I do like using this look for landscapes..very soft and romantic I guess everyone's tastes are a bit different and PS will cover all of us. Good luck!

Back