What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How would I go about making something like this?

YahtzeeShark

I have a bunch of headshots of myself and was trying to make something that looked like this....

avatars-000050397178-upseu3-t200x200.jpg

I'm pretty new to photoshop...Here are what my headshots look like...01890001.JPG

Let me know if it's too difficult with these headshots. Thanks!

Hey YF, this is a fairly simple effect to make............it's just a bit difficult to explain!

I don't have time now, in the AM I will try and make you a tutorial on this type of effect or find you an existing tutorial. Also, someone else may come along with some help. Good luck.

Ok, let's see if I can muddle through this!

Remember, there are other ways to do this.

First, use the Crop Tool to enlarge the canvas of the original image. This is to give us some working room.

Screen Shot 2014-03-19 at 10.40.25 AM.png

note: I like to use templates so that you can line up the panels with some accuracy. But you could just use the Rectangular Marquee Tool to randomly make panel selections from the original.

Next on a new layer we need to use the Rectangular Marquee Tool to create a rectangle over the image that we will use as a template. When you have it the size you want hit command/control + delete to fill with your foreground color. It doesn't matter what color it is as it's only a template. Hit command/control + D to deselect. Name the layer Template 1.

Screen Shot 2014-03-19 at 10.42.09 AM.png

With the Template 1 layer highlighted, hit Command/control + T to enter the Free Transform mode. Hold your cursor just outside one of the corner handles, the cursor will change to a curved arrow. Rotate the selection to an angle that you like. Hit the checkmark or the enter key to accept the state change.

Screen Shot 2014-03-19 at 10.42.50 AM.png

With the Template 1 layer highlighted, select the Move Tool and move the rectangle to one of the corners of the image.

Screen Shot 2014-03-19 at 10.43.35 AM.png

With the Template 1 layer highlighted, hit command/control + J to duplicate the layer. Select your Move Tool and move the duplicate into the next position. You can use the directional arrows to nudge the layer into exact position. Name this layer Template 2.

Screen Shot 2014-03-19 at 10.44.13 AM.png

Repeat the step above until the entire image is covered.

Screen Shot 2014-03-19 at 10.44.34 AM.png

Now we need to use our templates to create the panels that we will stagger later.

Turn off all of the template layers.
Highlight your Original image layer, place your cursor on the thumbnail of the Template 1 layer and click once. This will make a selection, hit command/control + J to copy the selection of the original image to it's own layer. Name the layer Panel 1.

Screen Shot 2014-03-19 at 10.47.09 AM copy.png

Screen Shot 2014-03-19 at 10.57.18 AM.png

Repeat the step above until you have a panel for each template.

Screen Shot 2014-03-19 at 10.57.45 AM.png

Next, Turn off your Original image. Select your Move Tool and begin to highlight and move/stagger the Panel layers one by one.

Screen Shot 2014-03-19 at 10.58.14 AM.png

The final step is to use your Crop Tool to crop the image.

Screen Shot 2014-03-19 at 10.58.58 AM.png

Back