What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do i achieve this photoshop effect?!

Mr.Swag

I can't stop raving over this effect I found on this guys video about a day ago! It's so sweet, check it out! It would be amazing you if could leave a comment on how you think he did it. I really like the smooth cartoonish look it gives!

SKIP TO 1:25 TO SEE THE EFFECT!

SKIP TO 1:06 TO SEE THE PICTURE BEFORE THE EFFECT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nLO3Ef91b4

Did you like the cartoonish tone or the three-face montage?

Personally, I think it's horrifying, but to each his own. :)

There are many ways to get this and similar efx. Here's what I did:

1. Select (with well feathered edges) the areas of skin to be smoothed. Be sure to avoid the eyes, lips, mouth, any facial hair, etc. Make a layer mask from this.

2. Make the original version the base layer in your PS layer stack.

3. Run the original through ACR (or LR) with the "clarity" slider set about half way to the left and put this on its own layer. Apply the layer mask developed earlier to this layer, as well.

4. Take the result and use any of several techniques to over-smooth (ie, plasticize) the skin. I used Topaz Clean. Put another copy of the same layer mask on this layer.

5. Adjust the overall contrast of the smoothed areas to match their surroundings.

6. You're done.

HTH,

T

PS - Be advised that this is an ultra-crude skin smoothing technique. It is almost the exact opposite of the pore-by-pore, blemish-by-blemish approach a good retoucher would take for a serious portrait.

Attachments

• Cartoon_Smooth_skin-ps02a_crop_8bpc_for_GIF.gif
    Cartoon_Smooth_skin-ps02a_crop_8bpc_for_GIF.gif
    123.7 KB · Views: 51
In your previous post, you said, "I really love the smooth cartoonish tone!", so I thought that was the only aspect you were interested in.

The hair is a somewhat different effect.

As usual, there are always multiple ways to do anything in PS, but to start, look at how the hair was treated in the second post in this thread:
http://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum...-n-k-s-popular-special-effects-explained.html

It isn't exactly the same as the example you provided, but it (and the other posts in our EFX thread) should certainly get you pointed in the right direction if you have a reasonable amount of experience in PS.

Tom

For a decent light skin effect, just a simple levels adjustment layer will probably be adequate, but for an even better, more smooth, weakly saturated skin effect, Google {alabaster site:photoshopgurus.com}.

Obviously, applying all three of these to the photo you are working on won't be a simple "press one-button-effect".

Tom

Last edited:
Sorry I didn't communicate that too well. That effect is close enough, thanks! I am having problems opening the raw file in Photoshop CS6. It opens the picture but the ACR editor thing won't appear.

I edited the image above.

I did not morph my version into a caricature.

The plastic cartoony effect is the oil paint filter.

You've been a big help thanks! Is there any possible way you could try to get the exact effect :D? That would mean so much to me! I am really after that look that I linked in my last post but am having trouble with creating it (I am still a bit nooby).

Last edited:
This is very simple.

Just make your modifications to the image like moving the hair or ears, etc.
When your done, highlight all the layers used to make the mods, copy, then merge the copy. Turn off the rest.
Now take this image/layer into Liquify and morph the way you want it.
When done with liquify, copy that result. This is important because you will need this original liquified layer when your masking the Painted layer.
On the copy (top layer) open your Oil Paint filter and play with the settings. (I don't remember what they were, sorry)
When done, add a layer mask and use your brush tool to bring back the eyes and lips, etc.

I think these were the settings in the oil paint filter, you'll have to experiment.

Screen Shot 2014-06-26 at 12.29.09 AM.png

Justinbearder.jpg
Here is mine haha, how do you stretch his forehead while keeping the shiny plastic look in yours?

Last edited:
I "stretched" mine in Liquify before I added the Oil Paint filter. But I don't see any reason why you couldn't do it afterwards.

JUSTIN-egg.jpg YES FINALLY! I GOT IT! THANKS SO MUCH GUYS! The trick is sharpening a lot and adding the oil filter along with the smudge tool! I ****ING LOVE THIS FORUM, lol!

Last edited:
Do you know why the resolution has to be really low for the Oil filter and sharpen effect to become more noticeable? I tried it with a picture that was 3000 x 2000 or something and I couldn't see any of the effects I added, they made a very small difference. Then with this Beiber one that is 600 x 600 I could notice a HUGE difference. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Back