What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pslane

Since yesterday I've been have some strange things going on with PS. The strangest thing of all is that it's happening in both my PS versions (CS3 and PSCC 2015)
My layer palette stays a pale grey instead of blue when active. The transform controls stop surrounding the images. I have a strange name extension on my images, something about a mask. (see screenshot)
It starts out okay, then it freezes up and give me the message below (see screenshot) I have no other computer problems that I know of. Any ideas or suggestions about this? I'm going to have to take this project to PSP to finish it, I guess. :question:

Attachments

• ps_27.jpg
    ps_27.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 16
  • ps_28.jpg
    ps_28.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 16

MrToM

Guru
You are in quick mask mode.

Hit 'Q' on your keyboard to toggle out of it.

Alternatively use SELECT > EDIT IN QUICK MASK MODE
(This is also a toggle)

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:

Rich54

Guru
The red arrow in your screenshot seems to indicate that you are in Quick Mask mode. A similar thing happened to me last year, when I must have accidentally hit the Quick Mask icon and then tried doing other commands. I was somehow "stuck" in Quick Mask and could not get out of it. Layers could not be activated (they appeared gray, not blue) and many of the normal tools wouldn't work. I finally fixed it by resetting all preferences (hold Alt+Ctrl+Shift while starting-up Photoshop, and it gives you a prompt to delete all current preferences). You might first try playing around with the Quick Mask tool to see if you can click yourself out of that mode, but if that fails you may need the more drastic step of resetting all preferences.

pslane

Well that particular file responded to the quick mask toggle. :smile:
It seemed to be only that file but I will check the other file I was using.

Rich54, those are the exact symptoms I had. Such a little thing to cause so much trouble. I hope that fixes everything. I'll sure be back if it doesn't. .....

Thank you, MrToM and Rich54
pslane

pslane

Is there another way to undo quick mask in CS3? The file is opening there with the same problem.
Never mind, when I rasterized it the mask on the title line went away. :mrgreen:

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
The quick mask mode is a toggle on / toggle off affair so if you SAVE a PSD file with the quick mask ON then when you open it again the quick mask will be ON.

Likewise if you save a PSD file normally with quick mask OFF then it will be off when you open it again.

As far as I know hitting 'Q' on your keyboard is the quickest way to toggle quick mask on and off......unless talking to your keyboard works?

It looks as if CS3 doesn't have the quick mask option in the menu bar so I guess the icon at the bottom of the toolbar or the keyboard shortcut are the only two options.

QM_Toggle_MT_01.png

Regards.
MrToM.

pslane

I see that tool, now. I was never aware of it before. I'll have to play with it and see what happens. Anyway, the layer went off mask as soon as I rasterized it.
Thanks
pslane