What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

newbie needs help with transparent .png file making it darker

rdb

Working with a small transparent .png file a basic line with a little squiggly thing at the end.
One for the right, and one for the left of text.

The graphic/line is light grey

Opened it up in PS7 and tried to darken it using the tools I know.
Nothing made it darker.

Just trying to get pointed in the right direction.

thanks in advance.

Could you perhaps be more specific? I don't know what tools you have tried as I don't know which you are familiar with... Also uploading your image on here could help speed things up considerably.

All that being said it might just be an simple case of adjusting the brightness to darken the image/line.

Could you perhaps be more specific? I don't know what tools you have tried as I don't know which you are familiar with... Also uploading your image on here could help speed things up considerably.

All that being said it might just be an simple case of adjusting the brightness to darken the image/line.

Hey thanks for getting back.

I tried using all the tools in Image -> Adjustments and couldn't change the image to a darker image.
Also tried a few of the selections in Filter.

The pic is very light, and need to darken it.

I am really a casual user of Photoshop and never had to work with a light file that was transparent.

Did try and upload both files.

Attachments

• left_border.png
    left_border.png
    1,008 bytes · Views: 9
  • right_border.png
    right_border.png
    978 bytes · Views: 9
Layer>layer styles>color overlay
use any color you want

Layer>layer styles>color overlay
use any color you want

Thanks for the reply.

Tried to do this by first Cntrl A to select whole pic, then layer>layer styles>color
and changed the default red to black, and it did not work.

Also tried it without first selecting canvas.

This is what it did [attached]

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Attachments

• right_border.png
    right_border.png
    288 bytes · Views: 10
First thing that comes to mind is image mode, what is it,grayscale? If it is put it in rgb and try it.

Those things won't work as the image is transparent (embedded transparency) so even if you make it 'black' it will still only be a light gray. I'm not too sure about a quick fix but you can get around this buy saving the image again without any transparency then using the Levels adjustment to darken the image.

levels.jpg

I would suggest doing the above or if you're comfortable with the pen tool, just recreating this image with the pen tool and then doing anything you wish with it.

Back