What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not sure what to call this one.

hershy314

Guru
Some reason I wanted to make a gloomy weather lookin pic. Didn't want it to be raining, but have that look that it's going to storm soon. Probably could of done a little more with the sky, but wasn't sure what to do. Anyways enjoy.lake.jpg

Jessicayla

Hoopy Frood
Just looks like night time to me, not so much overcast. The vignette is pretty strong too, might want to lower the opacity on it, unless that was what you were going for.

Love the scenery though, looks very pretty despite the desolation :)

ibclare

Queen Bee
I agree with Jessicayla about the vignette and I understand her observation that the sky looks like night but not storm particularly.

My observations: gloomy can be beautiful and you have a good start, but treat this like you would a scene of a sunset. In other words, bring some light and contrast into the muddy foreground and make it really stand out and look luscious. The rock is also getting lost. It can have some ghostly glow, maybe just a slight color shift and some brightening (which color sift can sometimes do). Finally, I would consider changing the sky altogether to something a bit more foreboding. You can paint darker areas on a layer above, use a gradient and alter the results, etc.
Those are my thoughts. Add some drama to the scene. :thumbsup:

Here's kind of what I had in mind, not perfect but a sort of quick edit:

inclement.jpg

Last edited:

Jessicayla

Hoopy Frood
You hit it right on the nail, Clare. I think the ground being the same hue as the sky gave the idea that it was night time, but with the brighter ground, it helps to show that the ground itself is not dark from the sky. The contrast of the brighter ground really gives that feeling of a storm-a-brewin' :)

chitkaran

Guru
When a pic is shot on the lower shutter speeds, the ground and the sky gets illuminated more than the horizon, the edit by Clare show the same thing, this makes it look as if it was shot straight from the camera on low shutter speed. Nice one clare..

ibclare

Queen Bee
hershy, Sorry if it looks like I am trying to steal your thunder (uh ...). I am just showing you one direction your image could go. It has great bones to work with. I think mainly it is just too flat, too little contrast. But I love the brooding atmosphere.

hershy314

Guru
This is why I show my stuff here, ya'll (living in the south too long) help me out. clare, your edit def. makes it look better. Ive been trying to find the psd file for this but can't find it. Hell don't even remember what I named it. Maybe I'll try this look again but different yanno? Thanks for the input. The thing about shutter speed that chitkaran said, I never would of known that. All I got is point and shoot camera so shutter speed is not something I can adjust.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Yes, very good. I agree with Jessica. I would still consider adding a bit of brightness and contrast to the rock and the closest portion of the foreground, just to add that little bit of extra "glamour." (meaning glamour as in magical, not fashionable)

ibclare

Queen Bee
One other thought - probably useless :rolleyes: . Is the lightning part of the picture? Not superimposed? It just seems that it should be flashier. Maybe clone it out - on a separate layer of course - and add a brighter streak of lightning? Really picky and not that important. I would be really careful doing that anyway as it could distract from the main subjects.