What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plane Crash

It was raining the whole weekend in Switzerland. A good excuse to stay inside and create a photoshop manipulation.
As always, critique is welcome, because sometimes you just don't see the simplest things.

Planecrash1200.jpg

planecrash+1200.jpg
updated version

Pictures used.jpg
Pictures I used.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey Chris, this looks fantastic!

One small thing for me. That airplane uses radial reciprocating engines, and you have a jet engine on the ground. Did it collide with a jet plane?

Thanks Sam.
I expected that someone 'll notice that. But it was just the perfect image for the foreground.

iDad

Guru
To me the plane looks to neatly parked and sitting ready as though no damage has knocked it off tilt, if you know what I mean

Paul

Former Member
Nice mix Chris, my only concern is the ratio between the guy crouched by the engine, surely that engine would be a lot bigger that said loving the concept mate.

Thanks Paul,
I'm not a technician, but I see what you mean...the problem is always the same, one has to arrange a lot of image components to fit in one frame.

...and Paul, this "munch" avatar is really great!

I took your different comments very seriously and went back to this image and made some more adjustments.
It's quite an improvement, and I learnt a lot doing these corrections.
I posted the updated version for comparison.

Vince Joseph

WOW!!! Thats the EXACT feeling I want to depict in my current photo project! How did you get the final image to look like a painting? Ive been trying to figure that out...

MrToM

Guru
Excellent as always Chris!

I noticed something spooky though.......a ghost in the machine!!!!

plane_crash_MT_01.png

Its more noticeable in the smaller image.

Regards.
MrNeedsSomeNewPants.

WOW!!! Thats the EXACT feeling I want to depict in my current photo project! How did you get the final image to look like a painting? Ive been trying to figure that out...

In this composite I worked with 6 images. All these images had very different colors, contrasts, one black and white, one nightshot of a burning house.
My goal was to achieve a dark image with warm colors in the foreground and cool blueish grey colors in the background.
The first layer of the composite was the plane. I desaturated the colors a little , and changed the mid tones to a more brownish color.
Each new layer I adjusted the colors to match the color range of the first layer.
So finally you end up with similar colors in each layer.

Just imagine your light sources are a full moon from the top left corner and the burning engine of the plane.
The goal is to create a believable image.

This can be very hard or disappointing at times. But slowly you'll build up your experience. Take your time, work carefully and never give up.

Good luck
Chris

Excellent as always Chris!

I noticed something spooky though.......a ghost in the machine!!!!

Its more noticeable in the smaller image.

Regards.
MrNeedsSomeNewPants.

Thank you for the comment MrTom. I appreciate it.
It must be the ghost of the pilot.

Regards
MrVeryOldThread