What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

a part of a greater whole

ronmatt

Guru
Always been a fan of Giger. Much of what I do has a Giger feel to it, but a different technique. Here's an example

Nice work. Would be a nice base to an interface.

Wow

I think this kind of stuff is so cool!
I wish I understood shading / highlights and shadows more.
Lasa

to lasa

To be fair, understand that I've been at this stuff for too many years than I want to admit to. I'm retired now, (well, sort of) and I started when I was a kid as an illustrator for my dad ( an architect). I spent 3 years at the Art Center in L.A. and then worked as an airbrush artist an av. of 50 hours a week for 15 years. I've been illustrating with PS since 1991. And, I don't just use PS for an illustration. I still use a drawing board and scanner, a graphics pad, Z Brush, Illustrator, and assorted apps, to build componants. Then I finish in PS. I'm successful at what I do, but I've been lucky too. I've been able to network and am able to work at home and stay busy. Don't try one illustration (the camera) and give up. Experiment always. You've got retouching talant, extend upon that. Good luck and keep an eye out, I'll be posting more. The only reason I post is, hopefully I'll inspire some kid to keep at it. Other than that, I have nothing to gain. But that's enough, don't you think?

I have been here for only a short time and one of the things I like about this forum is how the members are so friendly and ready to help or share their experience.

You fit in really well here and I look forward to your images and your expertise. This image is a great inspiration and I gotta try one of these in the near future.

SnowDog

Author of " PhotoLinks - The Special PhotoShop Guru Elite Edition Game "

soon to be available for download from here!

Check out my images

www.pbase.com/dfastb/snowdog

Airbrush background

"Airbrush" background I new it!!
That's where you learned how to layer so well...
The softwares you now use are simply an extension of the airbrushing days...
Lasa
8))

Well, Lasa, the bags out of the cat. Most people don't like us damn airbrush artists, they say we're mechanics, not illustrators. Nothin' wrong with that is there? Da Vinci's work is all math. Yet to say he's not an artist is to say, well.
Snowdog; nice stuff. the bodyless image reminds me of that 'french'artist and I like the photo thing.

Well, I always liked beautiful airbrush work. I think the reason that skill translates well to computer thinking is that there was a technical element incorporated in the artform which was lacking is 'normal' brush and knife (palette) work. Layers were part of the skill set as well as masking and transparencies...where's my liquid frisket?

With all that history, ronmatt no wonder you are so good.

I also agree that supporting, perhaps even inspiring others, is a most laudable reason for participating in this type of forum. I share that goal to a degree but I'm in it for the fun of it, too.

8} 8D :B ;) :D

[shhh] (Don't tell anybody.)

Airbrush

Ronmatt, could you do us a favor and post a drawn image, and a final image. I have a problem going from hand drawn to realistic finished illustration. I have always painted as illustrated in comic books.
(based on ink borders)...I draw / ink / scan / then under paint...that is how I learned and I have done ok for myself with this style but...I like what I'm seeing...

Thanks,
Frank

hah...liguid friskett

That, and rubber cement. Not to mention saran wrap and an acrylic covered left hand. Sometimes I miss it, usually I don't.

Lasa, more than happy to show you an example of converting scanned in line drawings to PS images. A hint though. You almost never use the scanned image. For me, it's usually a guide only, to be deleted when done.

first round

So here's a quick exampl. The line art is scanned in (I usually scan @ 300)
Then I duplicate it in the same window. That's the 'worker' the other is for reference. Then, section by section, color, add layer style etc. You can copy. add secondary grads. etc. as you go. Much the way you'd do it with an airbrush piece. mask, layer effect transparency and so on. The next exampl. will be how to mask and add layers. OK?

I'm here you definetly have my interest. This example is how I paint minus a lot of your talent... :) where you have the Ink borders. I'm also intersted to see something like the drawn version of " a part of a greater whole" no ink borders (no obvouis black ink line drawing)

Thanks for everything,

Lasa

simple enough. Take your line scan and copy it to a new window with transp. B/G. Same ppi. Now, on a new layer, trace the area you want to color (best to enlarge it first). Do that with each different color set. Say you're using red, yellow and blue (for sake of keeping it simple for now)
once everything is colored in, start your blending (per color layer). when you're ready to save, turn off the base layer (the line drawing) and merge. Why don't you copy the line art that I used and give it a shot. E-mail it to me if you want and when you've got that down, we'll work on some refinements. As for the initial image I posted, I didn't use this method. It's all from scratch using PS tools.

Excellent piece there Ronmatt!!
And Please keep on with this digital painting technique I'm eating it all up!
I have an image I'm working on in Illy, and your posts is helping it by leaps and bounds.
I know that time isn't a factor when creating a piece, but I'm curious, how much time do you use on an average piece? Hours, days, weeks? I'm sure with your experience you've learned the short cuts and what works and what doesn't.

time is money

Jeez, this isn't a fair question. Remember, I've been doing this for a long time. To begin, This particular one took maybe an hour and a half. I usually work between midnight and 5 am, my most productive hours. I just put on some pink floyd and go. ( I've got a couple of 'neat' tricks in Illustrator using PS styles I'll let you in on, if interested). Really glad I'm being helpful.

FUN FUN FUN

This kind of under-painting I understand...If I don't do it well is something else..but I do understand it.
I love this comic book style coloring it is a lot more forgiving then realistic painting because of the line separation.....
I used the burn and dodge to mimic your highlights and shadows.

I like having something to compare against. You did the hard work, the project allows me to learn.

Thanks for sharing!

Lasa

And you did well. But, as an old Photoshop Jedi once said,"---". If you know what I mean. I'll be back. I'm working on a web interface as suggested above. Flash------------------------------------

Great work ronmatt thanks for sharing.
Shine on you crazy diamond, adds to "must visit again" favs

Back