What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Actions Action to Sharpen some layers but not others

Ecnassianer

I have a PSD with multi-layer art and multi-layer borders above that art. All the border layers are in a group called Borders.

I need to create an action that runs a sharpen filter on the art layers, but NOT the borders.

To run the Sharpen filter, I need to flatten the art layers. They all have different names in different files, but I eventually figured out a hack that uses a bunch of select similar layers and other wonkiness to get the layers I don't want Sharpened to be hidden. In particular I have a step that is: Hide Layer "Borders".

At this point, all the layers I want sharpened are visible. All the layers I don't want sharpened are hidden.

I merge visible. I now have one layer that I can Sharpen. I run the filter, then turn on all the hidden layers and save the image.

At least in theory.

On about 2/3rds of my files this works fine. All the files with a single layer named "Borders" work fine, and most of the files with a group called Borders this works. For some reason, on about a third of my files it never hides the Borders group. It gets merged and sharpened with the other visible layers. :(

I've copy and pasted the group name between files and it doesn't matter. Any idea what might be making it fail part of the time and not others?

Is there a better way to select groups? Is there another way that I can hide this group? Maybe if I make it the top layer in the PSD?

Back