What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding color to transparent background

Clairehux88

I have an image on a transparent background and I want to remove the transparent background and add a solid color. I need steps with adding color to a transparent background. I have tried adding a solid fill layer and moving it below the layer but it’s not changing. Is there anything else I need to do!

I have tried adding a solid fill layer and moving it below the layer but it’s not changing.
This tells me that you don't have a true transparent BG image.

Can you post it or at least a screen shot

Does this image have a transparent BG???
Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 12.28.51 PM.png

The answer is no. It looks like it may have a transparent BG but the BG is part of the image itself.

This tells me that you don't have a true transparent BG image.

Can you post it or at least a screen shot

Does this image have a transparent BG???
View attachment 132026

The answer is no. It looks like it may have a transparent BG but the BG is part of the image itself.
Omg it’s been making my head hurt all morning. Didn’t think of that.

Can you post your PSD file as well?
The screenshot is is somewhat informative but the PSD file will provide more complete information...

If file doesn't post, you can always try WeTransfer.com and give us a link.

Can you post your PSD file as well?
No need Jeff, it's the image. It has the transparent background grid as part of the image. This can give off the impression it has a transparent BG when it actually doesn't.

Like this. Download and open.
WineGlassVectorArt.png

No need Jeff, it's the image. It has the transparent background grid as part of the image. This can give off the impression it has a transparent BG when it actually doesn't.
I still don't understand how you could tell from a screen grab.

Here's the image you posted where I deleted the "transparent checkerboard" and place a white layer underneath:

1660699256881.png

Here it is with the white layer turned off:

1660699319273.png

So the wine glass is on a transparent background and I could save it as a png with a transparent background. But you can't tell that from a screen grab of the wine glass.

Sorry If I'm confused on this....

So the wine glass is on a transparent background and I could save it as a png with a transparent background. But you can't tell that from a screen grab of the wine glass.

OK..........let me explain now that I understand!

First, let me add that I knew this before I saw the screen shot. I knew what was going on only because I have seen the problem before...........so experience there.

The screen shot form post #3 is a JPG. Since it shows the transparency grid, I knew that it was part of the image.

If you post a PNG file with a transparent background, it will show up with the forums white bg.
WineGlassVectorArt3.png

Make sense?

I was given the file in jpeg and eps I opened the file in another Adobe program and removed the checkerboard and was able to save as a png with a true transparent background and reopened into photoshop & that solved my issue.

I still don't understand how you could tell from a screen grab.

Here's the image you posted where I deleted the "transparent checkerboard" and place a white layer underneath:

View attachment 132038

Here it is with the white layer turned off:

View attachment 132039

you were able to remove the checkerboard background using only photoshop? I just couldn’t figure it out with ps yesterday but it would’ve been much easier for me.

you were able to remove the checkerboard background using only photoshop? I just couldn’t figure it out with ps yesterday but it would’ve been much easier for me.
Using the quick selection tool was easy on the wine glass that Sam posted since there were clear edges/borders. Couldn't do that with your image since there are shadows and a reflection on the glass. That would've taken more work and a bit of rebuilding.
Glad you were able to get it done and no matter if it was done in another program - lots of tools out there to take advantage of and some do pop up here! :)

Couldn't do that with your image since there are shadows and a reflection on the glass. That would've taken more work and a bit of rebuilding.
I was given the file in jpeg and eps I opened the file in another Adobe program and removed the checkerboard and was able to save as a png with a true transparent background and reopened into photoshop & that solved my issue.
As Jeff explains, removing the checkerboard transparency grid would be difficult due to the involvement of the shading and highlight reflections within the glass case of the JPG example you posted in post #3.

I would love to see your results after using the "other" Adobe program, which is totally allowed! If it works better than Ps, we would all like to know which program it was. So please post your results!

Everything in the red area would have to be rebuilt or adjusted.
Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 10.09.46 AM.png

Even the glass edges have the pattern.
Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 10.11.42 AM.png

I don't believe this can easily be removed in any program without some added work

Here's an example.

Note that the transparency grid pattern remains in the case edges. The case edges are shaded to simulate a chrome or metallic appearance. These would need to be rebuilt.

Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 10.33.49 AM.png

The reflection has been removed (above) and would need to be added back in a separate layer.
Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 10.46.12 AM.png

I used Adobe illustrator and just deleted the layer with the grids and saved as a true transparent file and was able to open in photoshop and change the color of the background.

9D5AC4E3-C344-4DDF-8A5B-7AF33D814151.jpeg

I used Adobe illustrator and just deleted the layer with the grids and saved as a true transparent file and was able to open in photoshop and change the color of the background.
Based on the image that you posted, It did not work. You can tell by the white highlights on the front of the case are now dark.

It should look more like this.....
Grey BG
Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 1.28.09 PM.png

Transparent BG
Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 1.30.28 PM.png

Practical use......(sort of) LOL!!
Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 1.45.40 PM.png

Back