What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adobe Online Training (Element K) / Lynda.com

cyberdao

Having read http://www.photoshopgurus.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2178, I got interested in online training / movie tutorials.

Has anyone tried Adobe's (Element K's) online training? If yes, would you mind sharing your experience?

http://adobe.elementk.com/educate/adobe/home/trycourse.asp

For $59 / year, you'll get
- PS I
- PS II
- PS web
- PS color correction / print
- PS artistic effects

For $129, you'll get the web collection.

These are interactive shockwave tutorials. There are only 2 PS samples online, but I like the way the information is presented and I already learnt the difference between the enter key and the numeric pad's enter key... ;\

Lynda.com also looks really good, maybe, even better?

http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/index.asp

For $25 / month or $250 / 375 (with example files) / year, you get access to many Adobe and Macromedia applications.

Has anyone tried lynda?

AppleCider

Power User
I'm a Lynda member, and like it a lot...so much so that I'm considering upgrading to get access to the files.

As for Adobe's Element K...I haven't tried it. I HAVE used Element K at work, and I have to say that I don't care for the format in general. However, Adobe's branded stuff may be different.

cyberdao

Thanks for your feedback, Julie!

I just signed up for lynda.com a few hours ago and hope, I'll be able to learn a lot from the tutorials.

I just wonder why there is not introduction to PS7. As a new PS user, I don't know, if there's a big difference between PS6 (for which there are newbe tutorials) and PS7.

Can I just use the PS6 tuts without any problem?

G

I've done the Photoshop VTC course and in my experience more aspects of Photoshop got attention that in the Lynda course.

AppleCider

Power User
cyberdao said:
I just wonder why there is not introduction to PS7. As a new PS user, I don't know, if there's a big difference between PS6 (for which there are newbe tutorials) and PS7.

Can I just use the PS6 tuts without any problem?

Cybredao, there is a "New in Photoshop 7" movie; just select Photoshop and you'll see it. As for general tutes, yes, you can follow along in any PS 6 tutorial, and round out your knowledge with the "New in..." movie. There's also a new movie about PS 7 brushes. I haven't gone through it yet, but it looks good just from perusing it.

What I like about lynda.com is that it's not limited to Photoshop...I've gotten some real use from the Illustrator and GoLive movies.

cyberdao

AppleCider said:
What I like about lynda.com is that it's not limited to Photoshop...I've gotten some real use from the Illustrator and GoLive movies.

That's what I thought, too. The VTC course looks great, too, but as I completely switched from Macromedia Studio MX to Adobe's Web Collection (with the exception of Flash MX), lynda.com is really a great resource for the price.

G

Lynda.com is limited with only 40 titles. Vtc offers however an amazing 220 titles, with a standard price for each title of $99, when Lynda.com asks between $99-$149.
Other thing that is worth mentioning; Lynda.com doesn't offer a full Photoshop 7 tutorial, only a "what's new". First time users of Photoshop in possesion of PS7 are forced to buy the Photoshop 6 CD too, which raises the total up to $200 and PS7 users will be confused while taking the PS6 course, because of some interface differences.

VTC also offers 13 Photoshop titles, some of them more focused on the web, some more focused on Photographers, advanced techniques, etc.

I think that Totaltraining offers the best quality, but then again, they're also more expensive :)

cyberdao

Gaussian, you're right, thanks for clearing that up!

I used the direct link to the VTC Photoshop section you gave us in another thread and did not realize that they offer other topics as well.

I think, both sites offer a great value for the price, but you're right, seems like you get more at VTC.

Thanks again! :)

cyberdao

Thank you, Gasussian!

I'd just like to thank you for giving us the link to VTC.

I signed up for both lynda.com as well as VTC in order to compare the courses.

While lynda has some nice tutorials, too, VTC just offers so much more. Besides lots of PS tutorials, you also have many other topics covered in depth.

I'll stay with VTC for a long time, I guess. There's so much to learn and so little time ...

Thank you! B7