What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

best way to make these curves...?

kim123

Hello Everyone! I'm a new user here. I've been learning PS for a few months now...slowly :)

I'm making a webpage and I would like to make a top banner something like this:

www.worldwildlife.org

What would be the best way to make those curves? I tried by hand (pen and tablet) and by making shapes and then filling and moving the anchor points around. However, when I make the shape by this method, I can no longer erase, or edit it....

Thanks in advance!
Kim

Hey Kim. Welcome to the boards. I'm not the best person to answer your question as I am learning too but someone will be along shortly who can help you. ;)

Hi Kim and welcome to the board!

What do you exactly mean by saying that you can't erase or edit them, because you can do that without a problem.

I think you have to be more specific :)

Welcomme to the forum Kim try right clicking the shape layer and choose rasterize from the droppdown menu.

then you should be able to edit them.

Rock on

Check out that link there for the pen tool because that is probably the best way to go about it.

Sanby

Hmmm....I posted a reply but now I don't see it.

Anyhoo,
Thanks for the replies and warm welcome. I'm working on the pen tuts now.

Kim
:)

Hi hi hi Kim123. That image was certainly made using paths. Try turning your path into a selection, but remember that you need to make a an entire shape for this to be effective. For instance:
you cannot simply make the curve with the path tool and try to make it a selection. You can make the curve at the bottom then put some more points above the curve to make it look more like a box with a curvey bottom. Convert the path into a selection and fill it or stroke it depending on what you'd like to do. Hope this helps. You should check out the Gaussian's link above also because there's a good wealth of info you'll need if you're just learning. The path tool is a great resource.
Lompoc42

Thanks Lompoc42 and sfm. I think I may be getting the hang of these things. I'm actually starting to have fun with them...as opposed to pulling my hair out. :)

Kim

Another thing... remember that you can add a "regular" raster layer mask to the vector layer... this way, painting with black you can produce the same effect as you would use the eraser...

You can also make a gradient on the layermask to have crisp edges, AND a fade out effect!

Back