What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blending modes. Theory: colour and light

tree123

Hello,

I have some questions about colour.

#1. In Photoshop, RGB mode, if I turn the mode into "filter", and set the background as white, then I paint red, or green or blue on a new layer each, I cannot see any other colours, except the white of the background layer.
I understood this is because the RGB of white is 255, 255, 255, which is strongest, so even if I add red, 255, 0, 0, the total value doesn't change. Is this understanding of mine correct?

#2. Then in a complete dark room without any light, the wall is white. Then I turn a blue light on the white wall, why does the spot of the wall covered by the blue light appears blue? Is this because the white of the wall is not the colour of light but the color of painting or the colour of the object? I think this is different from theory of #1.

White of the color will not absorb any colour of light, so the blue of light willl reflect to the eyes. Correct?

#3. I am watching a tutorial, the instructor says complementary colours will not effect on each other. For example, if the wall is painted in cyan, and the light is red. If I cast the red light on the wall, the wall is still cyan.

I am not very clear about what he is talking about. Does "complement colours will not effect on each other" apply to both of colours of light and the colours of paint?

I think it refers to one is an object, and other is a light of certain colour. Correct? It cannot be both the colours of two lights, or two colours of objects. Is this correct?

#4. Can you explain why completementary colours will not effect on each other? (In this case, I refer to #3 above)

For example, red RGB: 255, 0, 0; Cyan 0, 255, 255

If red and cyan are mingled together, why is it not white, 255, 255, 255?

Thank you very much!

Please explain this.

If I'm understanding correctly, perhaps this EXPLANATION will help.

The language of my photoshop is not English. Sorry, for the confusion. I mean "screen" or "photographic screen".

I will try to reinstall my photoshop and switch to English, so in the futher I can relatively properly describe the problems I encounter. :)

No need to uninstall photoshop to change language in English
just rename the file located in the program photoshop locales folder tw10428.dat with another name.dat

Hi tree123

Here is a link to the formulas used in Photoshop blend modes. Its accurate though does not give you an intuitive feel for what is going on: http://www.deepskycolors.com/archive/2010/0/21/formulas-for-Photoshop-blending-modes.html

Here is a visual picture of the screen blend mode. This representation is the same as the graph in a Curves adjustment Layer.

The blend is done on each color channel individually pixel by pixel so the chart represents any one color and any pair of overlapping pixels in two Layers. The X axis represents the bottom Layer pixel value and the lines in the graph are the upper Layer. 0% = total dark or pixel value of 0, 50% represents pixel color value of 128 and 100% represents a color value of 255.

In your case the pixel value on the X axis is all the way to the right (100% or 255 value). Going vertically up from that point, no matter what pixel value you choose for the upper level, the resulting display value will be 100% or value of 255.

Not sure this helps yet thought it was worth sharing

John Wheeler

Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 9.57.29 AM.png

Back