What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Borders

Lee

Guru
I bought PS Elements to see if I liked it. I love it so much I'm getting PS7 next month. Until then, how do I put about a 1/8 (approx.) border on a flyer I have created?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Lee

perhpas the easiest way for you right now would be to add a new layer on top select the brush tool to how ever thick you want the boarder then click at the top of your layer to the side then ........... hold the shift key down and "draw" down to the bottom (this give you a straight edge) ...... do this on all four sides and you have a boarder

this of course is just a coloured boarder and you may want a decorated one where you would then use this new layer to decorate it with styles or the like........... is the type of thing you are after?
sfm

Thanks sfm, you're a saint. ;) That worked great. Just what I was looking for.

Lee

Welcome aboard Lee! :)

I don't know what features PS Elements share with PhotoShop, but you might be able to enlarge the canvas size to create a border...just be sure your forground color is what color you'd like the border to be.

Here's an example of one I did to create a photograph style border (I also put in a drop shadow). The image was done for another message board I am a member of...for the game B17, The Mighty Eighth.
B-17xmas.gif

Doc

Thanks Wendy. I'm really glad I stumbled onto this site - it was quite by accident.

Doc - I tried that but it didn't work with PSE. I'll keep it in mind for when I get PS7 in a few weeks.

Lee

Lee, can you upload a screenshot from elements? By the way: do you have vs1 or 2?

Welcome, Lee! Glad you found us B7

Hey Erik,

I have v2 of Elements. I downloaded the 30 trial version of PS7 so I know what it looks like. PSE is VERY simular. As a matter of fact, it does so much that I don't know how Adobe can release it and still sell PS. One of the main things Elements does not have, however, is the healing brush and that thing is amazing. Well worth the $600 PS7 costs - no surprise to Adobe, I'm sure. ;) I don't know how to post a screenshot for you or I would. If you want to tell me how I'll get that for you.

Julie - thanks. As I said in the other post, I am really glad I found this site. Everyone has been MUCH friendlier and willing to help. I have posted on two other Photoshop forums and did not find them nearly as friendly. [excited] As a matter of fact, I posted the borders question on the other forum, too. Two days later and it's STILL unanswered. Oh, well.

FYI - I am VERY new at this and have self taught myself to use PS by spending MANY long 12/14 hour days in front of my computer and I STILL have only scratched the surface of what this program can do.

If I can be of any help to anyone (with my very limited knowledge [confused] ) let me know.

Later

What's the saying again?
A journey of a thousand miles, begin with the first step!
My suggestion is, after you learn the tool basics, just go crazy and have fun with it, experiment then learn the techinques for special effects.
Welcome to the forum, I'm a new comer myself and I have learned so much from the wonderful people who populate this site.

Right. If it is that similar I suggest you try the following:

I won't use shortcuts.

1/ Go to the select menu and choose select all. The entire work will be selected.
2/ Go back to the select menu and choose modify>contract. This (or similar) makes the selection smaller. Make it as small or big as the image you want to keep.
3/ Once again select menu, this time choose Inverse to select the pixels that will be your border.
4/ delete the colours in the border by pressing Del
5/ set your foreground colour to whatever you fancy, take the bucket and fill.

What elements doesn't have are the tools for professional printers. What is does have, I'm told, is that it is VERY user friendly.
To me this means that it would be able to open a secret little door in my comp and surprise me with an ice-cold beer or so. I doubt whether it can do that... [slick]

Another way might be the following:

1/ set your foreground colour to your fancy.
2/ take your brush, give it the width you want
3/ place it in a corner and click
4/ now place it in another corner and shift-click. This way you draw straight lines.
5/ blabla because you now know the trick.

hey that is cool Lee glad I could help you :perfect:
and I am happy that you did find this board :D
sfm

Sue, I overlooked Lee's answer that your method worked. Ehh... :\

ha ha ha Erik........ need my new glasses?

man I can see :rofl: must have been looking at everything blurry fuzzy and out of focus for so long that I just got used it....... I put my glasses on when I got home and looked at my daughter and wow...... she was so clear :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: only now I have no excuses work whip is coming he he he
sfm

Back