What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I add gradient overlay as a new layer, but still have it reflect the image below?

MediumRare15

Hello ps-gurus!

I am playing around with gradient overlays in layer styles on a photo to create some effects. I can move the angle of the gradient, but it is always centered in the image. Problem is I want to move the colored line effect from the gradient so it is in the bottom part.. Is there any way to make the gradient in a new layer, but still have it reflect from an image below it? Or is there any other way to work around this?
Here is an example:
unnamed.jpg
Any tips are much, much appreciated!

Instead of a layer style, try using the Gradient Tool on a new layer. The gradient tool has essentially all the same features and settings as the gradient overlay layer style. But if you use the gradient tool on a new layer, you have more control over the precise starting and ending points, plus the ability to move the gradient (or rotate it, expand/contract it, etc.) and add a layer mask to it because it's on its own layer.

Once you create the gradient, you'll need to experiment with the various layer blend modes in order to have your underlying image show through. The choice of blend mode will depend on the colors of your gradient and underlying image, as well as the final effect you're trying to achieve.

1671136516220.png

Instead of a layer style, try using the Gradient Tool on a new layer. The gradient tool has essentially all the same features and settings as the gradient overlay layer style. But if you use the gradient tool on a new layer, you have more control over the precise starting and ending points, plus the ability to move the gradient (or rotate it, expand/contract it, etc.) and add a layer mask to it because it's on its own layer.

Once you create the gradient, you'll need to experiment with the various layer blend modes in order to have your underlying image show through. The choice of blend mode will depend on the colors of your gradient and underlying image, as well as the final effect you're trying to achieve.

View attachment 134229
Thank you very much for the tip! Will test it straight away

Problem is I want to move the colored line effect from the gradient so it is in the bottom part..
Click and drag the gradient...................yes..........in the layer style.

Gradient overlay in a a layer style on white BG. Gradient line in the middle.
Screen Shot 2022-12-15 at 11.06.31 PM.png

I clicked and dragged the gradient to be lower......
Screen Shot 2022-12-15 at 11.06.42 PM.png

Works with any angle!
Screen Shot 2022-12-15 at 11.15.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-12-15 at 11.16.17 PM.png

Click and drag the gradient...................yes..........in the layer style.

Gradient overlay in a a layer style on white BG. Gradient line in the middle.
View attachment 134234

I clicked and dragged the gradient to be lower......
View attachment 134235

Works with any angle!
View attachment 134236
View attachment 134237
Thank you for taking the time! This is probably a foolish question, but from where do you click and drag the gradient in the layer style menu?

On the gradient itself within the active document/canvas.

Back