What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannot change brightness or use match color

Dinin

Hi,

i cannot use match color or change brightness for this icon. Color Mode is RGB 8-Bit. For other icons it worked with no problem. What must also be changed that this is also working for this icon?
test.png
Many thanks and regards
Viktor

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi Viktor
You did not provide a lot of details and thats a very very small image.
You will need a different tool as I don't think match color works with black images. You can select the black with the magic wand tool and fill with the desired color
As far as changing brightness, it is also unclear. Are you trying to make the black brighter i.e turn into a lighter graytone. What tool are you using? Its not hard to do yet you need to be more specific as far as what you are doing in PS. As you have already learned I am sure, PS has a ton of tools and for forum members to target suggestions, you will need to be more specific for better target suggestions.
Just my quick thoughts
John Wheeler

Dinin

Hi, thanks for your answer and sorry that i have given so less infos. I try to be more precise this time.
I need this icon in some different colors. Normally i do this with this option (sorry for the german schreenshot):
Image -> Adjustments -> Match Color -> choose Picture with needed Color (in that case green)
(because there is some transparency in the icon i cannot just replace the color).
When i do this with this icon:
handy_yellow.png
the result is this:
handy_green.png

But when i so the same with this icon
A1_firewall_icon_32.png
it is black again.
Both icons are in Colormode RGB 8-Bit.
Is it possible that this is not working with black images?
Is there maybe another way i can change the color of the icon without loosing transparency?

Thanks and regards
Viktor

matchcolor.jpg

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi Victor
No problem about the German screen.
I will give you another approach yet what I mentioned before in my prior post should work and not remove the transparency.
Since this is of particular concern to you, I will show a step by step (more steps) yet isolates the transparency totally separately from the pixels for you to change the color and then reapply the transparency.

First here is the starting image (I enlarged for visibiilty)

Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 5.53.20 PM.png

First thing you do is pull out the transparency and place it into a Layer Mask using Layers > Create Layer Mask > Using Transparency and you will get this next image and Layer stack:

Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 5.53.43 PM.png

Note in the thumbnail the full solid color of the icon is revealed and the transparency was transferred over to the Layer Mask
Now Turn off the Layer Mask by right clicking the mask and disabling the mask yielding the following:

Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 6.20.22 PM.png

The pixels are already selected in the Layer Panel so use the magic wand and select the solid colors of the icon (black square in this case) and fill with you desired color by selecting from Color Picker or Swatches etc. This yields this image:

Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 6.20.46 PM.png

Now that is left is to reapply the transparency from the Layer Mask.
Just right click on the Layer Mask and chose the option Apply Layer Mask. The Layer Mask will disappear and the transparency is returned to the pixels and you are done

Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 6.20.58 PM.png

As I mentioned before, I think you should be able to select all of the red even without removing the transparency first yet this is pretty fool proof though it takes more steps.
There are many other ways to change the color from black so this is just one of many
Hope this helps
John Wheeler

Dinin

Hi,
so many thanks for your detailed answer.
Worked like a charm!
And i finally learned what layermasks are for :)

Greetings
Viktor