What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Post Processing Canvas extension color is on strike

Dianoban

Canvas extension color is on strike

Sony ARW file
Photoshop CC 2017

The file was edited by Camera Raw. It was then opened in Photoshop from Camera Raw by open image. I wanted to make a canvas extension and found the canvas extension color was on strike.

Tested with other files. No problem. The problem occurred only on the file which had just been edited. It must be something I did during the process of editing this particular file.

Your help will be appreciated.
Thanks.
Dianoban

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What do you mean by it is on strike?

Simply that it was not working? It was greyed out? The colors didn't work?

Are you using a background layer because "canvas extension color" will be greyed out if your trying to work on a standard layer?

Background layer with icon.
Screen Shot 2018-11-12 at 9.31.24 AM.png

Not a background layer without icon.
Screen Shot 2018-11-12 at 9.31.38 AM.png

You can convert a standard layer into a background layer by going to LAYER >NEW > BACKGROUND FROM LAYER

Screen Shot 2018-11-12 at 9.33.25 AM.png

Dianoban

Thank you, IamSam!
I did some experiments, repeating the editing process I usually do, and found out as the following.
Canvas extension color might be on strike or grayed out if CR2 file is edited in Camera Raw including cropping.
1. Not affecting Canvas Extension Color if the CR2 file is cropped in the process of Camera Raw and then shifted to Photoshop CC by Open Image. The Canvas Extension Color is working.
2. Affecting Canvas Extension Color if the CR2 file is first edited in Camera Raw and then shifted to Photoshop CC by Open Image and cropped in Photoshop CC, the Canvas Extension Color is NOT working, grayed out.

Do not know for sure whether this is the answer but is the problem I encountered and found.
Please correct me if if I am wrong.
Thank you.
Dianoban