What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Post Processing Canvas extension

Chunmon

Canvas extension color greys out if jpg file is converted to smart object from camera raw.

Photoshop cs6
Camera Raw 7
Jpeg file
Operation:
Open jpeg file to camera raw > shift+open object > image > canvas size...
Canvas is transparent if it is added.
Canvas extension color greys out.

I usually add a digital frame to my image as the ending step of PP in Photoshop CS6.
In operation as described aboe, adding a frame is obstructed.

How to solve this problem please?

Thanks.
Chunmon
0.jpg

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi Chunmon

I am not positive yet I think one needs a true PS background Layer to have the color extension choice. So one could rasterized and then turn it into a Background layer via Layer > New > Layer from Background. This would give you a choice in Canvas extension colors

Yet I also know from your prior posts that you want to preserve your Smart Object so you can go back to ACR at will.

This too can be achieved.

- Place a Layer below your Smart Ojbect Layer
- Turn that Layer into true PS background Layer via Layer > New > Layer from Background
- Now when you use the Canvas Size command you will have options for color extension and also still have your Smart Ojbect.

Hope this additional option helps

John Wheeler

Chunmon

Hi Chunmon

I am not positive yet I think one needs a true PS background Layer to have the color extension choice. So one could rasterized and then turn it into a Background layer via Layer > New > Layer from Background. This would give you a choice in Canvas extension colors

Yet I also know from your prior posts that you want to preserve your Smart Object so you can go back to ACR at will.

This too can be achieved.

- Place a Layer below your Smart Ojbect Layer
- Turn that Layer into true PS background Layer via Layer > New > Layer from Background
- Now when you use the Canvas Size command you will have options for color extension and also still have your Smart Ojbect.

Hope this additional option helps

John Wheeler

Thank you Thebestcpu.

You've mentioned 2 subjects.
The first, about the smart object.
On my PC & PS, smart object can be continuously edited for adding digital frame by canvas size if the smart object is not converted through camera raw. I do this very often. I would post screen shots if so required.
The second, "preserve your Smart Object so you can go back to ACR at will."
Thank you sir. I'll try and come back for a report.

Again, thanks.
Chunmon

Chunmon

Thank you Mr. Thebestcpu

Your method works well.

This is what I did:
1.Open jpeg image into camera raw.
2.Edit the image.
3.Shift + Open Object (image into PS as smart object).
4.A blank layer 1 is added and placed below the smart object.
5.Layer > New > Background from Layer (the blank layer becomes a backgrand & locked).
6.Canvas extension colour is now optionable or available.

Thank you!

Chunmon

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I stand corrected. When I performed the experiment before, I removed the Ps background layer to simulate your example and had the same results you experienced. However, I closed and reopened the image I was using and forgot to remove the Ps background layer. THis lead me to the false conclusion that rastorizing the smart object layer would cure the problem. I was mistaken.

When the Ps background layer is removed, the "Canvas extension color" choice is greyed out. Fixing the problem is exactly as John described in post #5. I apologize for the mistake.

I'm going to clean up this thread so no future readers will be misled.