What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing fabric color in Photoshop

ChrisF1967

Hi,
I’ve been working on a project to turn the blue fabric in a group of photos to a particular tan color. See samples of colors required attached. My goal is to make the change look very realistic without losing all the texture and shadows of the fabric and to make sure it doesn’t look “photo-shopped” as I was advised.
I’m working with the newest Photoshop CC and I’ve tried many different ways to select the blue area of my photos. But so far, the most realistic results have been to not select anything and use this method:
https://photoshopcafe.com/tutorials/change-color-object-photo-easy-photoshop-tutorial

Unfortunately, I cannot get the tan to look light enough with the hue and saturation layer.
Please explain what I need to do.

Thanks so much,

Attachments

• Blue fabric.jpg
    Blue fabric.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Tan fabric.jpg
    Tan fabric.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 7
Thank you so much. I can't believe there's another question with blue and beige fabric addressed in the forum!!
I tried the method that you used and I'm still running into the same issue where the darkness of the blue (or grey when desaturated) is showing through the tan color layer making it too dark. (See attached example) Should I be creating a mask? I'm still new at using layers and don't fully understand the order they should be stacked in. I will keep working at it.

Attachments

• Tan over original picture.JPG
    Tan over original picture.JPG
    8.1 KB · Views: 2
I tried the method that you used and I'm still running into the same issue where the darkness of the blue (or grey when desaturated) is showing through the tan color layer making it too dark.
I used a Black and White Adjustment layer to desaturate..........in doing so, you can lighten the darkness of the blue fabric layer considerably by lowering the Cyan and Blue.

Before
Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 2.45.14 PM.png
After
Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 2.45.55 PM.png

You shouldn't be having any darkness problems.

Should I be creating a mask? I'm still new at using layers and don't fully understand the order they should be stacked in.
Sorry, I meant to address this. There should be no need to add additional layer masks. The adjustment layers come with their own layer masks.

Thank you! I'm getting closer. As I mentioned, I'm am amateur at using the layers. I now want to reveal the original photograph in certain areas (like the person's face) with the eraser tool, but I'm getting the desaturated version. How do I get the color version to show through?
I did keep the original photo as a locked layer.

I now want to reveal the original photograph in certain areas (like the person's face) with the eraser tool, but I'm getting the desaturated version. How do I get the color version to show through?
Never ever use the Eraser Tool!! Always use layer masks instead. You may need to group the adjustment layers and apply a layer mask to the group. At this point I can't help without seeing what it is your talking about. You need to post screenshots of the image (as long as it's G rated) and your layers panel.

Ok, good to know about the eraser tool :) I have had other hacks (like myself) show me this method, but I haven't had great luck with it anyway. Unfortunately I can't post a my photos because they're top secret stuff for the company I work for. I will continue using the great tips you've given me so far to see if I can get the job done. Thanks so much!!

Back