What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel technique

G

In this example I'm showing the use of channels to create a fast DOF effect.

In the red channel the flower is quite bright.

• select the red channel with ctrl + left-click
  • go to layers and duplicate the background layer
  • click on the "add layer mask" button (2nd one on the left)
  • press CTRL+I to invert the mask
  • click on the layer thumbnail
  • go to filter/blur/gaussian blur - value 8
    [/list:u]
    If you switch on/off this layer, you can see the difference.

This technique can be useful in those circumstances when your subject has a unique channel to work with.
    In this case you will have a slight glow around the flower, but that can add to the atmosphere. You can apply a levels adjustment on the layer mask to adjust the glow or the global effect.
    Channels can be very useful to make accurate selections, especially with those that involve hair.

Well done Stroker; those are the two examples I was thinking of, but like many other times I forgot where I saw them. Thanks for adding them to this thread, because they can be very helpful for those who want to know more about this :perfect:

[doh] and yesterday I was selecting hair the hard way!......... now I will go back and do it again [slick]
I am going to learn to keep all this info in my brain one day [confused]
sfm

I am going to learn to keep all this info in my brain one day

sfm I just know that's a loaded statement and no way, nope it's not gonna happen, I'm not gonna go there. Besides I got a bad heart as my nick implies and my wife already gives me daily beatings.:rofl: :rofl:

Great pair of sites stroker thanks:perfect:

Tim

:rofl:
Yah i use that line a lot too haha... the wife is getting sick of it now. [oops]

But you need that last "Yah!" in there too: "Yah Baby! Yah!"... like that, hahahaa... can't believe i'm typing this... [honesty]

Back