What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chiseling and Carving Text

KAYAK32

I a trying to follow the tutorial for Chiseling and Carving Text.? Step 6 seem to be a problem.? I am following exactly--duplicate layer, maximum filter set to 1 pixel, and changing the color.? Go through this all 5 times.? However I do not end up with what Mark says I should.
chisel.jpg

I end up with 6 layers of text (original plus 5 duplicates)
layers.jpg

directly on top of each other with the top one being white.? Thus it white type.? Because they are all identical other than color changing the layer order just changes the top color.? I do not end up with the graduated color white at the center and black outside.?
shadow_micro.jpg

What am I doing wrong?? Any help would be appreciated.

KAYAK32 .. welcome .. sounds/looks like you are duplicating the same layer (the first duplicated layer in step six) each time before going to Maximum filter - filter other etc etc .....
after doing the Maximum filter - filter other etc etc stuff you should be duplicating that 'changed' layer then doing the Maximum filter - filter other etc etc stuff ... then duplicate that 2nd new 'changed' layer then doing the Maximum filter - filter other etc etc stuff again and so on ... (made the same mistake myself a while back when doing that tutorial) ... hope that helps you .. and hope you post your results ... regards namvet

NAMVET Thank you that helped.? I took him literally and did the "exact same" thing i.e. copied the same layer.? After playing with the radius for the 2 different sized texts I am using I got that done. If I manage to get through this I will gladly post me results.

Now I am having another problem.? I am on the lighting effect (I have only used filters very minimally in the past).? I went in and altered the settings but something did not work.? So I stepped backward to re-do it and now Photoshop will not let me in the filter.? When I choose it I get an hour glass showing it is applying the filter, but it won?t let me in to check the settings.? I tried closing the file and re-opening and this did nothing.

As for the lighting effect filter.? When I apply it I do not see the text like in Mark?s graphic.? I turned off the alpha texture and selected the chiseled text layer.? I added the 2 channels in the previous step.? Am I supposed to see any text (as is in the graphic example)?

KAYAK32 .. am glad that helped ... I've tried to re-create, exactly as you described, the problem you are having with the lighting effect (where the 'image' is white) .. the only way I could get that to happen was with a white 'background' in the channel (refer image below) ....
... as for the problem of the the hour glass showing .. that can occur for a number of reasons .. if it keeps happening post the problem/your question in Technical Q&A, but be sure to include the version of your Photoshop (click on help, then click on 'about Photoshop' .. a screen will come up with Photoshop7 or similar) .. and also include some information on your computers size (chip speed, ram and that stuff .. if that doesn't make any sense, don't worry, someone here will help .. the folk at PSG helped me when I didn't know 'squeek' .. and I am sure you will be helped) .. regards namvet

I am sorry if I was not clear. It is not white. The alpha original channel and alpha chisel produced fine. It is when I go back to the layers, turn off the alpha texture layer and apply the lighting to the chiseled text layer. Nothing seems to happen. In Mark?s tutorial you can see words when he is applying the effect. I only see background - the cement texture, and nothing seems to change from the effect being applied.

I tried saving after applying then copying the file so I had a file saved at the point I was having problems. I used the new file to go on beyond the lighting effect hoping that it was doing what it was supposed to but the following steps which are simple did not look right so I have to assume the problem is back at the lighting effect.

KAYAK32 .. check that in lighting effects that you changed the texture channel to Alpha chisel (refer pic below) ... that's the only way I have been able to 'loose' the text ... hope that helps .. regards namvet

\:/ ... maybe that didn't help you KAYAK32 ... not a problem .. just post again and I'll see if I can come up with another solution (I often learn something new when trying to help :) ..... in helping you I discovered that when I originally did the tutorial a few months back, I had missed the minus sign on material properties (plastic/metallic) [shhh] [shhh]

Thank you.? I was about to post for more help yesterday when I got it working.? I actually got it done in time to use it (had to be done and submitted last night).? I really appreciate all the help.? Here are the two versions I did.

chisel-2.jpg

chisel-3.jpg

KAYAK32 :perfect: :} :} so what was the solution to the problem??

Back