What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Choosing which layer doesn't move when auto-aligning?

Noz03

I often bracket my photos then go to align them, or use the auto align feature for many other things. But one thing I could never work out was how to choose which layer doesn't move. I've tried googling, no one seems to know, I've tried locking a layer, putting it on top, on the bottom, selecting it first, last, no matter what I do photoshop seems to just want to decide by its self. So how do I do this? How do I chose the layer that doesn't move when I use auto align?

I experimented by repositioning image duplicates and setting the auto align reference layer by locking works great.

Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 8.16.44 AM.png

All layers were aligned with Layer 1 copy 3 which I had locked.
Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 8.16.59 AM.png

The locked layer has to be the only locked layer and included when you select the layers to be aligned.

These layers are all out of alignment and selected.
Screen Shot 2018-08-03 at 8.50.15 AM.png

After using auto align layers, now they are all aligned to Layer 1 copy 3............which is locked.
Screen Shot 2018-08-03 at 8.51.43 AM.png

Back