What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

color settings & management

ApWizard

Hi Mates!

The problem:

if, with adobe gamma, i set the icc profile of my monitor to "adobe rgb1998"
and in photoshop color settings set "adobe rgb1998" i havn't problem.

If in adobe gamma i set the icc profile of my monitor to "sony_d93" (my
monitor) and in photoshop "adobe rgb1998" this happens:

- if i take a screen shot of the monitor in internet explorer with an
image and than i paste it (ctrl+v) in photoshop the colors of the image
changes, in photoshop the colors are different!

Can you explain me what i must do to have the correspondence with photoshop
and another image viewer like internet explorer or similar?

Thnks In Adnvace

ApWizard

Erik

Guru
Bluntly said: if you don't work for print but only for the Net and monitor-based things like movies, then just forget color management as it's a pain in the ass (the forum will probably use ***:rofl: ). What you can do is set your monitor with Adobe Gamma so as to get a "correct " (cough) lightness hue and saturation. But don't expect others to have done the same! What you made may be perfect on your well-calibrated monitor, but may well look horrible on someone else's, not speaking of the difference between mac and PC gamma...

If you want to print, you need a profile for your scanner, your printer and your monitor so you can print what you scan.

Adobe RGB has got nothing to do with a profile: it is a color space, and a color space that is great for print, but not good for the internet. For the web, sRGB is much better.

I use Adobe1998 because my prints must match my scans and my monitor, but I also have a proof setup: a simple Windows monitor. When I work for the web, I press Ctrl+Y to see the difference between my beautiful, broad-ranged Adobe RGB, and the ugly, narrow sRGB that's used by Exploder, Navigator and all apps that haven't seen the Light...

pip22

Adobe RGB not a profile?

Erik

I disagree with your statement :
"Adobe RGB has got nothing to do with a profile"

It has an ICC file-extension, it's properties in Windows describe it as
a profile, you can associate a device with it just like any other profile.
True, it is a color-space but also technically a profile.

Pip22

G

Hi Pip22 and welcome to the board :D

So, you probably planned not to post, but you couldn't resist to reply on this one I guess :rofl:

Good!. May you feel the urge to post even more.

And again, nice to have you on the board :perfect:
Feel free to look around, join disucussions, post your work etc. :)

wbiss

Guru
Yes, welcome Pip22. :) Look forward to seeing you around here...