What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Constrain size of smart objects

xcracer41

How do you constrain the size of a smart object? Id like it so that when I replace the contents of a smart object the image is roughly the same size as the previous image.

Hello and welcome.

Please provide more information.

The content of any smart object can be changed or edited after double clicking the SO. This includes image replacement and size. You can also use LAYER > SMART OBJECTS > REPLACE......................either way...............if the replacement image size is smaller or larger, in order to have the new image to appear within the defined area of the SO after replacement and when the PSB document is closed, it must be resized and repositioned (by you) using Free Transform.

If you drag and drop the replacement image into the PSB document, it will automatically enter the Free Transform mode. If you use the "place" feature, you will have to initiate the Free Transform yourself.

The only other method would be to make sure beforehand that all the replacement images were the exact same dimensions as the SO.

I've provided images. I have the same smart object referenced in 4 different artboards (image 1). When I replace the contents of the first smart object the replaced file is huge (image 2). Id like it to be roughly the same size no matter the file size...without having to free transform every image (image 3).

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

Id like it to be roughly the same size no matter the file size...without having to free transform every image (image 3)
Already explained in post #2

There may be a way to resize the replacement image using a script. That's beyond my knowledge base.

Back