What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Conversation about a moved post!

MrToM

Guru
So why was the description of how this was done removed?
It was there right? I read it....and helpful it was too. It stood out because of it and now its gone.

Is it a case of just do the job and keep your mouth shut now?

This site used to be really good at sharing info and helping others.

Regards.
MrToM.

So why was the description of how this was done removed?
It was there right? I read it....and helpful it was too. It stood out because of it and now its gone.

Is it a case of just do the job and keep your mouth shut now?

This site used to be really good at sharing info and helping others.

Regards.
MrToM.
I wondered the same thing. I did add a description of the approach I made, it was there and then it was gone. :^(

It's here. There are two different threads on the same item.

I wondered the same thing. I did add a description of the approach I made, it was there and then it was gone. :^(
Well pickle my bollards!
Why in TWO places!
Thats not confusing at all!!!

Thanks both of you, the senle sneli senilyt the madness hasn't set in just yet then.

Regards.
MrToM.

It's here. There are two different threads on the same item.
There is only one free edit request. The question posted on the free request thread on how it was done was moved to the appropriate help forum. Here in the General Ps Board.

I did add a description of the approach I made, it was there and then it was gone. :^(
It's not gone, see your post #2.

Why in TWO places!
Thats not confusing at all!!!
Because one is a free edit request and the other is a question referencing how an edit was performed which belongs in the General Ps Board along with any discussions. Simple..........not confusing at all. I changed the threads title so that might help.

OK, let me explain...............the free edit forum is not a HELP or discussion forum. In order to to avoid confusion with forum searches, Ps related questions and related discussions need to be in the General Ps board which is a HELP forum.

The Free Edit Forum is for completing free edit requests only. The thread belongs to the OP and the matter of the free request. If the OP asks a question about technique, answering would be acceptable. Please start new threads if and when you have questions for other members edits or Ps technique related discussions on what another editing member has done. These topics need to be in the help related forums.

I have been slacking in keeping discussions out of the Free Edit Forum......................but it needs to be redirected. Sorry..............I have my marching orders.

There is only one free edit request. The question posted on the free request thread on how it was done was moved to the appropriate help forum. Here in the General Ps Board.

It's not gone, see your post #2.

Because one is a free edit request and the other is a question referencing how an edit was performed which belongs in the General Ps Board along with any discussions. Simple..........not confusing at all. I changed the threads title so that might help.

OK, let me explain...............the free edit forum is not a HELP or discussion forum. In order to to avoid confusion with forum searches, Ps related questions and related discussions need to be in the General Ps board which is a HELP forum.

The Free Edit Forum is for completing free edit requests only. The thread belongs to the OP and the matter of the free request. If the OP asks a question about technique, answering would be acceptable. Please start new threads if and when you have questions for other members edits or Ps technique related discussions on what another editing member has done. These topics need to be in the help related forums.

I have been slacking in keeping discussions out of the Free Edit Forum......................but it needs to be redirected. Sorry..............I have my marching orders.
Hey Sam .. I don't see it here or any other place within these forums either so I'm confused. Post #2 ?

Started with a feathered selection of the shadowed area, saved the selection to an alpha channel then placed colour samplers as shown. Used curves adjustments to match the RGB values of #1 and #2. from there, I masked the curves effect to the layer below (using the original as a model..) and used the clone tool and/or healing brush to blend the separations. To get closer to the original, painted on a new layer in soft light mode to add showing and lighting.
This is from post #2 of the moved thread................is this not the description of your technique that you posted in the free edit request thread???
Screen Shot 2023-07-20 at 7.55.22 AM.png

Simple..........not confusing at all.
I beg to differ....
Why is @polarwoc now involved and asking someone else's question?
I don't think @polarwoc even did an edit, did they? Difficult to tell now.

I beg to differ...
I don't see it here or any other place within these forums either so I'm confused.
Even @Babine, who posted the reply, can't find their own posts.

I beg to differ...
So how does member 'X', that started a request in the 'Request' forum even know that their question, now removed and posted under a different member, has been answered by member 'Y' ?
Even if they somehow knew it had been answered how would they know where to find it, or even what to search for? Member 'Y' could have put anything as their thread title.
Also, how does anyone reading the 'answer' relate it to the original request. The original post is somewhat replicated here in this thread yes, but only because of moderator intervention, any new 'answers' to request posts will be created by a member 'Z'.

I beg to differ...
If the OP asks a question about technique...
...which they did, originally, in their original post, in the edit request, now removed...
...answering would be acceptable.
Which is what @Babine did, didn't they? So why was it deemed 'unacceptable'.

I beg to differ...
I can, and often do, make myself look like a complete buffoon but so does this thread....now.
Any member reading this will soon come to the 'complete buffoon' conclusion when they see me announce something is missing when its right there in front of me in the previous post....the Idiot.
They would be right too, completely unaware that all this relates to a completely detached thread elsewhere.

...but it needs to be redirected.
Needs to?
Really?

Sorry..............I have my marching orders.
Yeah I know, I'm not having a pop at you here, I understand, but to say...
I beg to differ.

Regards.
MrToM.

Why is @polarwoc now involved and asking someone else's question?
In the free edit thread polarwoc asked about a workflow and Babine explained how he performed the edit. He asked his own question.

I don't think @polarwoc even did an edit, did they? Difficult to tell now.
You are right he did not do an edit. Not difficult to tell at all. Everything from the free edit request was moved to the new thread. Nothing is missing.

Even @Babine, who posted the reply, can't find their own posts.
That post is now in the moved thread in post #2
Screen Shot 2023-07-20 at 9.12.57 AM.png

So how does member 'X', that started a request in the 'Request' forum even know that their question, now removed and posted under a different member, has been answered by member 'Y' ?
Member X did not ask the question, polarwoc did. polarwac became member X and Babine is member Y.
Here is the OP's original post.............see a question there? In fact, other than the original request, the OP has not replied to their thread at all!!
Screen Shot 2023-07-20 at 9.10.06 AM.png
Even if they somehow knew it had been answered how would they know where to find it, or even what to search for? Member 'Y' could have put anything as their thread title
They being whom? The OP? The OP did not ask a question so they would not be searching. I posted polarwoc's question in the new thread.
Also, how does anyone reading the 'answer' relate it to the original request.
There's no need to relate to the original free request. polarwoc asked and Babine answered about how he did the edit. Other than the image, this had nothing to do with the original free request.
The original post is somewhat replicated here in this thread yes, but only because of moderator intervention, any new 'answers' to request posts will be created by a member 'Z'.
The moved thread is not a free request....................it is a question about an edit made in the original free request that was moved to it's own thread in General.

...which they did, originally, in their original post, in the edit request, now removed...
NO!!! polarwoc asked the question, not the original OP!!! See the image below.........it has not been edited.
Screen Shot 2023-07-20 at 9.10.06 AM.png

Which is what @Babine did, didn't they? So why was it deemed 'unacceptable'.
YES!! He answered polarwocs question which was moved to it's own thread in the proper forum. The OP from the original free edit request did not ask a question.

They would be right too, completely unaware that all this relates to a completely detached thread elsewhere.
They being whom? You're wrong. The moved thread starts with a question asked by polarwoc and then gets answered by Babine. It's complete. There is no connection to the original free edit request other than the image.

Needs to?
Really?
Yes. Sorry.

Thanks for moving the explanation part into a new thread in General PS Board section as per current site policy, Sam . There are a few thoughts I would like to present - these could probably be better housed under 'Forum Suggestions or Forum Features Discussion' section rather than General PS Section, though that would be Ultra Pedantic.

I have often heard that this forum is primarily a "Resource to learn PS" where Free and Paid requests are serving as a secondary function. That being the case, explanations of how an edit was done would be best done where the edit was performed to retain the topic of discussion and re-center focus on explanations rather than just providing edits, which you expressed concern about in the past.

Considering that I requested every person that attempts the edit to explain how they did the edit, imagine this Scenario 1: 10 people made the edit of which 8 were willing to give an explanation and they give it right there in that thread. To me, there is great simplicity in this 'right there, right then' approach. Now, an alternate Scenario 2: I request those 10 people separately via direct message how they did it and get some 5 or so responses. To me, that borders on invasion of privacy or subjecting forum members to unnecessary obligation. Then, another Scenario 3: I post a thread in General PS section posting a picture that belongs to someone else or I reference a particular thread and ask how the edit was done and get some 3 or so responses. To me, persons who did the edit and who would have assisted with explanation may not even see this new post, thus depriving me and other learners of helpful explanatory posts.

Seeing the three scenarios above, if you view a fulfilled request on forum and would like to learn how it was done, it becomes inhibitive to face overheads of posting a new thread rather than just pop the question in same thread.

If the concern is about 'better searchability', maybe hashtags could be added that would assist search engine spiders to locate it? If the concern is showing more number of threads as KPIs, then aren't we are deviating from core values of being a primary PS learning resource by fixating ourselves on KPIs just to show weight metrics?

I recognise how difficult it is to maintain a site like this. I appreciate the work you do and I hear what you said about you following laid out rules @IamSam. I am not fuelling fire - just trying to seek a re-calibration of balance between ease of use and following policy in context of the main aim of this forum. If the policy can be revisited to make it better, why not explore and improve?

I have often heard that this forum is primarily a "Resource to learn PS" where Free and Paid requests are serving as a secondary function.
Correct. More so the paid section but that would also include the free edit section.

Scenario 1: 10 people made the edit of which 8 were willing to give an explanation and they give it right there in that thread. To me, there is great simplicity in this 'right there, right then' approach.
I do understand your point here. But I have to ask, is it really that difficult to make one click to another thread in the appropriate forum and give an explanation? I don't see that this would be so labor intensive that a member would have a problem with a few mouseclicks.

Scenario 2: I request those 10 people separately via direct message how they did it and get some 5 or so responses. To me, that borders on invasion of privacy or subjecting forum members to unnecessary obligation.
This option is not even on the table nor would it be suggested. Even so, it would not be as much of an invasion of privacy as it would be a detriment to the overall purpose of sharing Ps related information with the community. Selfish but allowable. I actually get questions asked of me via PM almost weekly! I simply ask them to post a thread on the question in General so that everyone benefits. They have done so without any problems and I answer the questions. My obligation of redirecting a valid question to the proper forum was fairly simple, typed a few words and clicked a mouse. Answering the question whether it was in a PM or in the proper forum is not what I would consider an unnecessary obligation as I was going to answer either way.

Scenario 3: I post a thread in General PS section posting a picture that belongs to someone else or I reference a particular thread and ask how the edit was done and get some 3 or so responses.
Now your talking!! When someone posts a "picture" under the rules of the free edit forum, that "picture" can be used anywhere on the forum. The link back is also a great idea and I have suggested this in the past. You will get the exact same number of responses that you would have had the question been left in the free edit forum.
To me, persons who did the edit and who would have assisted with explanation may not even see this new post, thus depriving me and other learners of helpful explanatory posts.
I really have to apologize here but this statement is ridiculous! There is an option in each forum called "Watch", that allows you to be notified when new threads are started. I have been watching you guys on this forum since all of you joined! I have a page called Current Visitors that I open and carefully watch so that I can see what every member logged on the forum is doing. Everyone single one of you checks (Under "What's New") "New Posts" or "Forum List" and you show up as "viewing latest content" or "Viewing Forum List". I absolutely have to call you out on this one!! Sorry. Everyone WILL see the new or moved post. The only way you would be deprived would be if you made a conscious effort NOT to look at new posts!

Screen Shot 2023-07-24 at 1.12.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-07-24 at 1.10.31 PM.png Screen Shot 2023-07-24 at 2.12.36 PM.png Screen Shot 2023-07-24 at 2.26.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-07-24 at 6.01.36 PM.png Screen Shot 2023-07-25 at 1.10.12 AM.png Screen Shot 2023-07-25 at 2.03.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-07-25 at 11.04.49 AM.png Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 8.54.24 AM.png Screen Shot 2023-07-28 at 7.30.32 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-07-23 at 6.35.00 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-07-23 at 6.56.28 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-07-23 at 2.28.01 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-07-31 at 11.00.52 AM.png

Seeing the three scenarios above, if you view a fulfilled request on forum and would like to learn how it was done
............you start a new thread posting your question, photo, and/or link in the appropriate forum for help and not in a forum that is for free edits only.
it becomes inhibitive to face overheads of posting a new thread rather than just pop the question in same thread.
Mind you, I hear your point, however, and again with apologies as this is not personal, it wreaks more of laziness on the behalf of the user. You use the word "overheads" as if you were referring to a 12 step process that would take 3 days to accomplish. Starting a new thread is just not that difficult or time consuming.

If the concern is about 'better searchability', maybe hashtags could be added that would assist search engine spiders to locate it?
Yes, hashtags would help in finding help in a help related forum and not in a forum made for free edits only.

If the concern is showing more number of threads as KPIs, then aren't we are deviating from core values of being a primary PS learning resource by fixating ourselves on KPIs just to show weight metrics?
KPI's are not the concern.

just trying to seek a re-calibration of balance between ease of use and following policy in context of the main aim of this forum.
I understand. The "context" of this forum is to attempt to maintain structure and organization. Placing questions about Ps techniques in the proper forum is this forums context. Having help based questions asked and answered in a non-help, free edit only forum does not support forum continuity.

The free request thread started by "Johnny" should only address the edit requested by "Johnny". Any further questions asked by participating/editing core members about another members technique should be asked in the proper forum and not by hijacking "Johnny's" request thread. Responding to a free edit request should only be about the OP's request. Any additional questions not asked by the OP should be placed in the proper forum.

You may not be aware of this, but free edits started in the General Ps Board. The free edit forum was originally created to separate "free requests" out of the General Ps Board since they were free edits and had nothing to do with Ps related questions/content. Another consideration involved with the creation of the free edit forum was to offer newly budding graphic artists the experience of what it would be like to deal with a client and the clients possible requests for edit changes. In the real world, as a freelance designer, you would not be aware of any other designers that were submitting work to the client much less be able to ask the other designers about how they performed the edit.

Let's move past this matter now. Thanks.

Back