What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Converting a photograph to a painting/drawing

G

The following technique is just one of the many techniques to convert to drawings/paintings and it will not produce the same results with every photograph.
  • open a file
  • create a duplicate of the layer containing the photograph
  • select this new layer
  • apply filter / stylize / find edges
  • change blending mode to "color dodge"
  • change opacity to 65%[/list:u]Experiment with opacity or add a "brightness/contrast" layer style to one or both layers (use clipping group) and fiddle with the settings.
    You can also use the menus "filter / artistic" or "filter / brush strokes" to add some brush stroke effects to the layer containing the "find edges" effect. It's all about experimenting and personal preference.
    Note: almost the same technique can be used to bring out various details in a photograph.

Be aware(!): some shots need different blending modes, brightness/contrast and/or opacity settings.

G-man

Wow this is good. Thanks I like the results.
Joy:) ;) :perfect: [innocent] :perfect: :p [saywhat]

sfm

Guru
you know I wondered how they did that thanks mate looks great
sfm

Rick Miller

Great technique!
:perfect:

I just had to play with it; thanks for sharing.
[excited]

mr-meth

great and simply technique. GJ...

Tanya

Wow.. I love that! What an interesting idea for a little gift. combine that with the Colorized tutorial here, and it can be quite pretty to frame and give someone *S

Tanya

lindaw

Power User
Sooo cool Gaus!!! That would make my art life so much easier if I could do that but the "art world" doesn't recognize PS as art or anything done in it, even sketch work. Doesn't make sense to me. Thanks for the tips!

meehoo

That's real cool...and what a tool for watercolorists (if that's a word) who are working on complex imagery and need help getting a more impressionist lose feel. I know I definetly would have used it back when I painted...maybe one day I'll pick it up again.

-Meehoo