What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Copy a small area and paint with it like a brush

Juve

Hello, my question is how to copy an area from the picture itself and paint with it? I've seen that by activating the patch icon, a key is clicked somewhere for a specific color or area together to be saved and then placed.
Yes, it can be applied repeatedly and a line or other shape can be obtained, but it is very time consuming. Is there a way after this small area is selected and then to choose a brush and paint exactly with this part?
Youtube shows that the same color is chosen from the palette, but it will not be the same. If there are shiny parts like nickel or something loose like sand or a surface where dust particles are visible, it will not be the same as the solid color of the palette. The color of the palette will be the same but will make a difference with the original quality which is a photo of a real object and not a drawing for a video game. With copy / paste it will work but it is very difficult and slow. and my question is how to paint like a brush with that. If, after saving a section, you can also choose the type of brush to paint with it, please tell us how step by step, menus, keyboard shortcuts so that everyone can understand it. thanks

Hi, this one - "Clone Stamp Tool" doesn't do what I'm asking. There you see the removal or hiding of an object or defect in the photo by copying the area and pasting to replace it.
Either you don't understand me or Photoshop doesn't have that feature. I will try to explain once again:

I will paint a completely new object as I want to use not a color from the color palette but part of the photo itself. I can copy a small piece and paste it a thousand times to get a line or outline of an object that doesn't exist there. But it will cost me half a month to copy and paste 100,000 times.

I'm also not asking about the function in Photoshop that puts the mouse on a color from the picture and selects the same color from the colors offered by the program or a similar texture because they will not be the same as in the picture. I'm not asking about that either.

I ask for a function that copies a small part and then selects a brush and blends with the saved. Not with something like that, but with what has already been memorized, and not to copy and replace, but to paint quickly with this, choosing a brush in size and type.

Does Photoshop have this?

You could also be talking about the Mixer Brush.

In the second and third tutorials it is copied and distributed many times, and in the last one it is painted in solid color in another Layer which enhances the colors in the already existing picture.

The video with the Cloud comes closest to what I'm asking about. There an object is cut out and saved to paint with it by choosing a brush. And another good thing here is that the structure I was talking about remains. But! Here the original color is lost. Let's say that the photo from which this part is taken is a meadow with small forest flowers. There will be at least 3 colors in the enclosure that will be lost and instead of them one color will be indicated with the pipette to paint with it.

Photoshop doesn't seem to have such a feature exactly. I also wrote to support who explained to me that this is what Photoshop has for now and does not have exactly the same option.

Unfortunately, they stopped quickly and I could not write to them how this can happen without losing the colors. Namely - after copying the area and choosing a brush, the moment you start painting and drawing these flowers in a small area, you just automatically copy them next to each other forming a line and they will have all the colors inside because they are copied. next to each other . It will simply be automatic and a line will be drawn quickly and without loss of colors. If any of you can pass this on to the developers, let me do it. This has not reached them yet

And thank you very much for the ambulance you want to give.

Just happened to stumble onto this technique which may - or may not - meet your needs
If you want to duplicate (paint) the same color object in several areas, you can use your move tool with the Alt/Option key held down. This will drag a duplicate copy of the image and you can place it anywhere in the image area you want.

Example -
Here's an image of a vase on a table:

1641335824818.png

Using the Object Selection Tool - or any selection tool you prefer - I selected the vase with flowers:

1641335979318.png

Now, with the selection active, click on the Move tool:

1641336122127.png

Now with the Move tool active and the selection active, hold down the Alt (Windows) or Option (Mac) Key and drag the selected vase to the left.
Let go of the Alt key when you have the duplicate where you want to drop it but keep the selection active:

1641336477381.png

With the selection still active, hold down the alt key again and now move the selection to the right:

1641336567000.png

You basically can place that vase anywhere on the canvas just by holding down the Alt key and using the move tool:

1641336669489.png

It's a repetitive action - you have to let go of the Alt key and press it again for another duplicate - but may get you to where you want to go....

- Jeff

Last edited:
The above technique is somewhat destructive since each duplicate image is placed on the same layer.
But if you select an object and place it on its own layer, then use the move tool with Alt held down, each drop you make will place the image on a separate layer.

Here's the vase image again with just the daffodil flowers selected:

1641337321370.png

With the selection active, I create a layer with just the selected flowers by using Ctrl+J - or going up to Layer-New-Layer via Copy:

1641337509096.png

Now with the flower layer active, and using the Move tool, hold down the Alt key and move the image to where you want to drop it:

1641337674585.png

Using the move tool again, and with the Alt key held down and flower layer active, move the flowers to the right:

1641337806905.png

Each image is a different layer and can be moved independently without affecting the other layers.
This leaves the base layer intact. You can also merge layers when needed.

Again, this may, or may not work for you. But at least it's an option...

- Jeff

Back