What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Creating a template

azheat4u

Spring Training for baseball is set to begin out here in AZ next week. My son enjoys getting autographs and I enjoy taking photos. Instead of buying baseball cards I want to turn my own photos into cards for my son to use. My question is can I make a 2 1/2" (w) x 3 1/2" (h) template to use for this process? If so where can I find information to do so?

I want to be able to print 9 cards on a sheet of photo paper at a time.

Also I have a few ideas how I want my cards to look but I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks

AZ, My first "paying job" while using photoshop, was doing baseball cards for our local minor league team in their first year. I LOVE this idea, and think it'd work very good for you.

Here's my suggestion, take a digital photo of a baseball with any background, or just laying in the grass. Get your template for the cards, and use the baseball graphic as the card "border", understand that part? Because I'm not sure I said it right.

I can't give away ALL my tips, but that should get you started anyway.

BTW, I LOVE baseball, and have been lucky enough to attend a few games out there in Peoria & Mesa.

Ric

B7 Cool project azheat4u!;) In fact, I might have some templates kicking around for you to use and will look for them! ;-)

Yes, this is easily achieved in PS... just go ahead and design your own 2 1/2" x 3" cards! Take a look at currently used trading cards and you'll get an idea of where to start. Usually there is a pic of the player on the front/with name & fancy border and then the stats are usually on the back, therefore, you will want two templates.

When designing for "print" you should use at least a 300 ppi resolution. ;) Once you've designed your "single templates", open up a new document (300 ppi) to accommodate 3 across and 3 down (iow, 7.5" x 9"). You may want to leave a little space for cropping purposes, between each one. Place 9 copies of your template into this new file, and 'voila' you are now ready to print.

Thanks Ric & Wendy for the input. :)

I've tried different things in the past but now that I'm starting to use PS more and more I figured this would be the best way to go.

As soon as I get them designed I'll post them for everyone's input.

I hope to get them designed this week as I will be away at the ball parks for 3 of the next 4 weeks. [excited]

Here is my initial card. Background (BASEBALL & GLOVE) was taken with a digital camera and the photo I scanned from my 4x6.

All feedback is appreciated.

Looks great azheat4u! :) Nice design using a baseball & glove that you photographed! :perfect:

I would only suggest that you make the "photo image" (player pic) area larger. These cards are only 2.5" x 3" to start, and therefore, when you print, the player's pics might be much too tiny to even discern who the player is... Don't forget, the purpose of a "trading card" like this is to "showcase" the player! ;)

AZ, are you planning on having the players sign these cards? Like on the left side, ON the baseball? If not, then how about making the photo a bit bigger?

BE CAREFUL when dealing with Pro ball players too, some of them have contracts with card mfgs. And they might be babies and throw a fit, it COULD happen, not it will.

Looking good by the way.

Ric

Wendy & Ric thanks again. [excited]

The photo is 1 1/4 x 2 1/4 so it is small but not that small. I think I'm going to try the feather technique to make the picture blend in a little more.

As for the autographs, it doesn't matter where they sign because normally you can't tell them where to sign they just sign anywhere.

I'm not worried about them saying no because we've never had a player turn us down signing one of my photos. But like you said it could happen, usually though they like the photos and ask for copies.

I'll post another shot later tonight.

hey it looks cool........ wonder what it would look like if the image was "spherised" you know rounded like the ball?
sfm

Here is try #2.

Thanks Sue for the idea. I was about to post my 2nd try but after I read your suggestion I made a little change. :D

thanks Gaus....... my days are running away from me so thought I had better change it he he he

azheat....... I like that better :perfect:
sfm

Yes, I like that one better too, azheat4u! :perfect: It showcases the player's pics much better! ;)

Yes, Sue... I love your "seasonal" avatar too! :D

thanks Wendy it was all I had time for he he he and I love your heart warming one too........ like a beating heart it is...... perhaps you could do 2 hearts that beat as one :rofl: :rofl:
sfm

Sue: perhaps you could do 2 hearts that beat as one
[saywhat] [doh] Smartass! :p :rofl:

ha ha ha come on you love a challenge and you know I don't have time he he he
sfm

Back