What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Creating photographic film effect?

alewushu

Hello everybody!
I want to create this effect in letter p film which is below, could someone help me?
grateful

efeito.jpg

?? Do you want that "P" to have film edges / sprocket holes ?

Assuming you want the P to end in a film roll like that.

adobe illustrator
create a 3d cone, then wrap a ribbon around it.

if you just want the P to have the film role holes:

create a mask for your P layer
now create a path, for the holes to follow
then select a square eraser (I didn't want to download one so I just did it with round)
then press f5, and increase the spacing.
now right click the path and do stroke and select eraser
done
ribbon.png

Last edited:
Hi alewushu,

Are you wanting something like this?

This is made in Photoshop, very fast I might add, as to offer an example...

PFilm_02.jpg

I won't make this for you, but I will explain if this is what your wanting.

Hello!
I appreciate all the information you are sending me ...
The effect of this is that I need it, but would like the letter p 3d had an effect as in the example, it is possible?

If you can give me a hint how to do, I'll be very grateful!

thank you

Sam....go for it!

I've been playing around with a square brush and it's settings...whad-di-jado ?

alewushu Do you mean a 3D P like this with the small squares??????

3D_P.jpg

Mike, all I did was re-shape the P a little, add some extra shading. I then created a path just inside the outer border of the P with the Pen tool going from the bottom of the P to the upper curve. Stroked the path with a square brush using the Brush settings shown below. Then I repeated this on the inner border of the P, however, I did have to play with the Minimum Diameter setting a little to make it look the same. After that I combined the two paths and added a inner shadow layer style to the squares and a drop shadow to the P itself.

Not near computer but I bet someone could do that using the image supplied using puppet warp, take the end of the film and swing it around to get the P shape bit tricky but if your not good with drawing that's a possible Alternative chop

You can easy do it using 3D tools in PS.

1. Create a circle with Ellipse shape tool

2. Go to 3D->Repousse->Layer Mask. Set Depth ~ 4, Twist ~ 1080, Mesh Quality - Best. Press OK. Open Diffuse texture for Extrusion Material, add Rectangle shape layer with the height of the texture's height and the width ~ 50% of the texture's width and the color of your film.

3. Create and open Opacity texture for Extrusion Material. Make the same Rectangle shape layer as in the Diffuse texture, set it's color to white, add a Black Solid color background below. Now you can add perforation here, I would suggest Pattern Stroke layer style on the Rectangle shape layer.

4. For all other Materials set Opacity to 0.

5. Now duplicate this 3D layer, select both 3D layers and 3D->Merge 3d Layers... Rotate with Object Rotate tool to get a nice view.

6. Select Mesh Rotate Tool and move any of the mesh in y direction so that meshes "stack" on each other.

7. Select lower mesh, go to 3D->Repousse->Edit in Repousse..., set Bend and move it's X Angle slider. May be tweak Depth a little...

You may need to rotate the upper part in x direction to merge both parts seamlessly.

Good luck:cheesygrin:

Hi Alewushu. I'm glad you found the answer you needed. We'd love to see the results you come up with, so think about posting it in this thread. Bravo!

And a bravo to you SCRTWD for the great 3D tutorial.

Back