What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cropping and resolution question.

Iceman_snoot

Hi to all,

I have recently been on holiday and took plenty of nice pictures! My pictures come off the camera at 3888 by 2592 px at 72 dpi. (54 by 36 inches!). Firstly, I need to up the resolution as I'm getting prints done. Secondly, I can't take a level picture if my life depended on it so these steps are fairly standard for me:

Open the picture, put a grid overlay on the background layer and use the transform feature to rotate the image level. I then use the crop tool to crop out the revealed canvass. I crop at 9" x 6" with the resolution set to 300 dpi.
I realise resizing this way gives no control over resampling and therefore downsizing the image and reducing the number of pixels, but this doesn't seem to reduce the quality. I think?!

Is this way OK, or should I start with the original file off the camera, use the image size feature to resize to 9" x 6" with the resampling checkbox unchecked? (When I try this the res goes up to about 440 dpi - making the file larger than really necessary for no real benefit.) and the use the crop tool with the resolution field blank, which still gives me a 440 ish dpi file! See why I'm confused! :eek:

This is my first post here - I have done some research in books but I'm still unclear as to THE way to get done what I want.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Happy New Year!

Iceman - Are you clear on this yet - give me a email or PM or skype me on "grandstreetstudios" (text only). And I'll explain this to you.

Regards,
Leon

Back