What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Curves controls

Lee

Guru
I'm getting pretty good with the Curves tool...................finally! :) Even though I thought I turned off the PS automatic update option it still updated and reset all my tools to default..............again! [upset]

This should be a no brainer but I can't seem to find the control the sets the Curves window to small squares. Please....................... help. ;\

As always - thanks. :perfect:

tranquil222

Power User
If youre doing any serious color correction, curves is the way to go. It takes levels, brightness/contrast, color balance, and almost every color altering tool and puts it in one box. Its daunting at first, I admit, but definitely worth learning. Good work Lee!

G

Tranguil222, the following is not directed at you, but everybody in general who uses curves.

I don't consider myself an advanced "curves" user at all, even if I know the basics about it, but I agree, curves is a magnificent tool, but there's only one problem with it; most people "think" they know how to use it.

I've seen too many images in the past that were really messed up by the wrong use of curves, even by people of whom I thought they knew how to use it. To be honest; there are a lot of people who think they know everything about curves, but actually don't know all that much :\

My advice is; if you don't really know what you're dealing with, then only use curves for some basic adjustments or read one of those books like Photoshop artistry 6 or 7 or a book like Professional Photoshop: The Classic Guide to Color Correction.
Knowing how a tool works is one thing, but using it the right way... well that's explained in a very professional way by these true Gurus of Photoshop.

And you know what is so amazing about these Gurus; they know how to use the right tool at the right moment. H&S, Levels, Curves, they all use them. See, that's the point; they don't need only curves just to be considered an expert ;)

Just my 2 cents though, take it or leave it ;)

tranquil222

Power User
Yeah Professional Photoshop is an awesome book. Dan Margulis really knows his stuff. I agree with all that you say and im not saying that none of the color correction tools are worth as much as curves, just that if there was one tool I would chose it over any other. When I started using it, I screwed up a lot of pictures, but luckily it can be an adjustment layer. Thanks for the caveats, gaussian!

Lee

Guru
Hmm, maybe after reading that I'd better step back a little. Although I knew I wasn't great by ANY stretch of the imagination, I thought I was getting pretty good. After reading that from Gaus, however, I guess I have a lot more to learn about that tool than I thought. What I have been doing is tweaking VERY little in all areas to improve contrast, saturation etc. And when I'm done I find I don't even need to use levels or contrast controls. :)