What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dark/horror atmosfere ideas?:)

marti.artin

Hello guys, i am trying to make some dark photo manipulation. Here is original photo and current edit (amateur i know:)
Do you have any ideas? I think its too dark, its little bit hard to make it look dark but no too dark on monitor hehe :D tried some color matching, brightness/contrast, camera raw but struggling to have that "dark night" atmosphere..Dont want any request or something, just to talk and hear your opinions, maybe edits, just for our fun :)
strach11.jpg
_DSC0891male.jpg

In my opinion, your image has too much of the same amount of darkness. The image looks washed out and the eye is not drawn to any particular spot. I think you need some highlights in your image, particularly because you have a full moon, so it ought to be shining on something. I think there would be more atmosphere if you had deeper shadows and some bright highlights.

Here are two night scenes. Notice how both of them have very bright highlights.

1602027914406.png1602027966504.png

I tried to do the same with yours. I greatly boosted the contrast and attempted to create highlights on the wooden boards, where it looks like the moon is shinong on them.

Just a thought.

night3.jpg

Totally agree with Rich54, you can play with those shadows and light to gain focus on the things you want to highlight, made a fast example with a little joke ^^
strach11f.jpg

Back