What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darth Vader´s lightsaber and the missing gap, no one seems to notice.

Psychopath

I am posting this here in the photoshop-section, because here are probably more people who understand photoshop and everything having to do with it (like basics...contrast, shadows, light-dark, etc.) and asking those for their opinion.

So, well I was doing a photoshop on this image, when i noticed that right under (going through behind it) Vader´s lightsaber, the gap which is supposed to go through, suddenly ends, which seems to be some "faulty effect" when they made the lightsaber-fx.

Now what´s so weird and kinda interesting with this, is actually the fact that i talked to dozens of people about this, and they all don´t seem to get my point and not only that, they are obviously unable to see it even when they look at this.

The most people claim "it is Vader´s shadow, that´s why the gap disapears."

Seriously??? Are they all braindead or am i the one being halucinating? Since when does a shadow (actually being lighter than, like in this example...the gap underneath it) all of the sudden covers a spot and making it vanish (this gap!) while being darker than the shadow itself???

In the mean time, only one other person actually told me that i would be correct with this and that this gap definately should still be there going through behind the lightsaber just like all the other gaps in this picture, regardless of vader´s shadow.

So happily, in case i am halucinating, there is another person who has the same "mental illness" then.

...and i wasn´t only talking to people online, i showed it to people standing right in front of me and sent it to friends over our smartphones, everywhere the same...they just can´t follow and can´t see....... and it is somehow making me crazy.

gap_6564.jpg

This is a typical optical illusion caused by the diffusion of light. The diffusion comes from the actors (Vaders) shadow which disseminates the light causing the "gap" shadow and subsequently causing the shadow to lose it's definition......making it appear as though it has disappeared. But the shadow is still there.

You are mistaken, these are not gaps, they are shadows. It can clearly be seen here as it bends around an extended portion of the structure.

Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 6.42.39 PM.png

Here's some other views......no sharp shadowing or "gaps" as you call them, just softer more indirect lighting.
maxresdefault.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 7.08.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 7.11.34 PM.png

I just can´t follow it, the "gap" seems to be darker than vader´s shadow, so it would be impossible for vader´s shadow to make the "gap" vanish.

The same thing for all the other "gaps", but they are not vanishin below the lightsabers, they are still there.

So you want to tell me it is Vader´s shadow making the "gap" disappear???

The strange thing with this effect, making it look even more like a faulty one, is the fact that this "gap" suddenly goes missing just there where the lightsaber crosses it, like the lightsaber-fx somehow messes up the "gap".

0gap_6554.jpg

So people seem to be seeing an "optical illusion" here, while others think this is normal, othrs like me and this other guy, seem to think it´s a faulty effect because the "gap" can´t go missing like that.
It even doesn´t matters if it´s a real gap or just a shadow, that "shadow" is starting to miss its "left edge" right underneath vader´s saber, it is also darker than vader´s shadow PLUS that one HORIZONTAL LINE is ALSO STILL VISIBLE, as you can see on that last image i put up.

So why does the "gap shadow" disappear but that line (being as dark as the "gapshadow") still stays visible? If vader´s shadow causes the "gap-shadow" to disappear, that "LINE" also must disappear, just like it disappears with all the other "gapshadows" on all those other "cupboards" or whatever those things are.

The major problem i have with this "gap", is it ending way too abruptly and the fact that it actually abruptly ends that way just at the spot where the lightsaber is crossing it, just makes it look even more like a faulty fx rather than a physically correct placed shadow.

LOL! This thing reminds me of music lyrics you once hear/understand the wrong way, you will always hear them the same wrong way, so i probably have seen it as a faulty fx when it actually isn´t, but i will never see it differently than that what it appears to me like.

lines_66454.jpg

Last edited:
LOL - I like your wrong lyrics analogy. The first time I hear Jose Feliciano's 1969 rendition of Guantantamera, I heard the lyric as "One Ton Tomato" and after that it was impossible for me to unhear that lyric. I think that you are stuck seeing it the way you are seeing it. I do not see it as a gap. I see it as the initial sharp shadow from with the light source behind Vader. Vader blocks that light souce right at the light saber edge (coincidence) and the only light reaching that area is now less sharp because Vader is closer to the light source making the light more diffuse. This is similar to the concept in lighting for photography where you want softer shadows you use a diffuser (or if you have it The Force :) ) So just sit back and enjoy that One Ton Tomato :)

No, it's not a "gap". It a shadow. As you can see on those encircled parts of the structure. As what @IamSam already explained. Don't just focus on that single photo. Try to look at different angles (Posted by IamSam) and you'll see that "that gap" is just an illusion.

Annotation 2020-08-14 054154.png

Ok guys.....show me another spot....another picture...or better....make a photograph which is showing the exact kind of "shadow-abnormality" like i am seeing it here, without that picture to be photoshopped, then i accept your theory and better yet..then i probably fully understand your point of view.

I am still stayin with the way i am seeing it......that "gap" (yeah i know, it ain´t a gap, but that´s not the problem) is still too dark, darker than the other shadows, so it´s against nature that a brighter shadow consumes another "darker" shadow, ergo....this star-wars photo is a messed up fx or photoshop.

That photograph also seems to be no real screenshot because nowhere in the movie you can see this scene from this point of view, so it is probably a photoshop after all and they messed up the shadows.

But anyway, this or that....just show me a spot/place on earth where those kind of shadows occur naturally, looking exactly as it looks here.

If this is so easy and if it is so "natural" to make such shadows as they appear on the star wars picture, with one "shadow" (that gap which ain´t one) obviosly vanishing, then you should easily reproduce it at home with two flashlights and some similiar objects.

PS: ...and don´t give me "Sorry! Can´t reproduce those shadows because i am currently out of lightsabers!" :joy:

...on a serious note i would love to see how this shadow looks if vader´s lightsaber wouldn´t block sight from this point of view, it still looks too weird how that darker "gap"-shadow (yes i know..it ain´t a gap) "vanishes" into a brighter "vader-shadow".

Last edited:
...and what is with the ground level of this picture?

There you can see Vader´s shadow plus the shadow of his lightsaber, and both doesn´t make the "gap-shadow" vanish this time, unlike it is happening within the green marked area from before, shouldn´t that "gap" disappear just like on that other spot? 0groundshdow.jpg

By the way, what is actually causing those "gap"-shadows? The light source is coming from left to the right, as we can see it on certain spots, causing the shadows going from left to right as they are supposed to, so what kind of "anomaly" is causing those "gaps" (which are supposed to be shadows) after all?

Last edited:
So your point buddy is the mistake in editing of the shadow as what you've said it's probably photoshoped.

So you want to tell me it is Vader´s shadow making the "gap" disappear???
It's not a "gap", it's a shadow and the answer is yes.

is the fact that this "gap" suddenly goes missing just there where the lightsaber crosses it,
The shadow has been disseminated by by the actors head shadow. The position of the light sabre is a coincidence. If it were not there at all, the optical illusion would still be present.

Head shadow...
Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 8.49.38 PM.png

So why does the "gap shadow" disappear but that line (being as dark as the "gapshadow") still stays visible?
This is a typical optical illusion caused by the diffusion of light. The diffusion comes from the actors (Vaders) shadow which disseminates the light causing the "gap" shadow and subsequently causing the shadow to lose it's definition......making it appear as though it has disappeared. But the shadow is still there.

LOL! This thing reminds me of music lyrics you once hear/understand the wrong way, you will always hear them the same wrong way, so i probably have seen it as a faulty fx when it actually isn´t, but i will never see it differently than that what it appears to me like.
Your right! You have convinced yourself that you know exactly what it is and that no amount of others telling you what it is will change your mind.

If this is so easy and if it is so "natural" to make such shadows as they appear on the star wars picture, with one "shadow" (that gap which ain´t one) obviosly vanishing, then you should easily reproduce it at home with two flashlights and some similiar objects.
No........I don't need convincing, you do. I already know what this is based on years of experience and knowledge of shadowing. You perform the experiment.

In the photo below, we have strong hard edged shadow that when it meets the softer more diffuse shadow............it disappears.
Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 9.26.51 PM.png

it still looks too weird how that darker "gap"-shadow (yes i know..it ain´t a gap) "vanishes" into a brighter "vader-shadow".

This is the last I will comment on this matter. There's no sense continuing when you have already drawn a conclusion.

Good luck.

.) This picture is full with artificial shadows and "unreal" objects like the lightsabers, yet you act as if it is all natural occuring shadows, that is the whole problem within this funny conversation to begin with.

.) Nice drawing you did there with vader´s head, just revealing another paradox shadow, coz if you look at the GAP (calm down little fella, i know it is a shadow) above vader´s head, the left edge is way sharper than the shadow of vader´s head, so how should this "sharp gap" (...yes...it is a shadow) go over into the unsharp shadow of vader´s head while both being similiar in one straight way down, unlike the unsharp shadow in your picture, which is bending away from the sharp shadow in a 120 degrees angle.

.) I haven´t drawn conclusion, i want a someone to explain me an obvious photoshopped picture and the obvious flaws it has, yet i am getting the idea you talk about all natural shadows the whole time, which is paradox to begin with since, as i already said, this picture is full with artifical objects and shadows.

But i understand it, if people get insecure or angry with someone who has his point of view, it is totally ok by human standards.

....and there can be another 20 users trying to convince me that this picture is all just an optical illusion (optical illusion caused by artificial shadows, lights and lightsabers on a photoshopped picture? don´t you see how stupid this sounds?) coz i can tell you a dozen other examples where even thousands of people were thinking to be right, with just a few persons to tell them they would be wrong, and at the end, all those thousands of people were wrong after all.

Just close this topic if it depresses certain individuals, i don´t have a problem with it since we are anyway obviously talking about real light and shadows being in a picture full with artificial light, shadows and objects and i can´t think of any discussion being more funny and paradox.

So your point buddy is the mistake in editing of the shadow as what you've said it's probably photoshoped.

I don´t know from where they got this picture, it for sure ain´t a regular screenshot, so it must be one of those poster-pictures they usually hang out in front of theatres, so yes, since this is a photoshop (because i don´t think those lightsabers are real, LOL) it surely has it´s flaws, with the biggest one being the sharper shadow going over into the blurry vader one, with...oh what a coincidence.....the lightsaber covering up the spot just where the shadow goes over into the blurry one.

....and user IamSam now comes and talks about an optical illusion caused by obvious real shadows, making it hard for me to follow him right from the start.

gap_6564 copy.jpg

It is also funny how the main lightsource in this picture, causes shadows to go from left to right, asking myself what the real shape of those "cupboards" should be, since i can´t explain what actually causes this shadow which i wrongly took as gap the whole time, and that started the trouble to begin with, that gap which in fact just is a shadow.

Seriously?

It is also funny how the main lightsource in this picture, causes shadows to go from left to right, asking myself what the real shape of those "cupboards" should be, since i can´t explain what actually causes this shadow which i wrongly took as gap the whole time, and that started the trouble to begin with, that gap which in fact just is a shadow.
Explain the lighting here....the front and back of OWK is lit up. Why you ask? Two different light sources coming from opposing directions causing shadows to be cast in two different directions.

Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 8.11.26 AM.png

No one, including myself, is angry or insecure. I just feel it's senseless to argue with someone who has already made up their mind.

i can´t think of any discussion being more funny and paradox.
Yes, I think this explains a lot.

Two different light sources coming from opposing directions causing shadows to be cast in two different directions.

I know there are two light sources, but i was talking about the light source on kenobi´s side, with shadows being caused from left to right, now it is funny how there are two light sources, kenobi´s and vader´s, but those "gaps-who-arent-gaps-but-in-fact-shadows"-shadows we are talking about the whole time, are totally unaffected and look exactly the same on every side, as if they´re not affected by those two different lightsources.

I somehow understand your point, the only thing which constantly confuses me is that you´re talking about it as if they are natural caused shadows along with those lightsabers (who aren´t actually there), so we never know how this picture would look with REAL lightsources, real shadows and real lightsabers, but i am sure...the shadow i am talking about the whole time, wouldn´t look like this in the picture, if it would be real.

Ok, we can close this discussion now, no problem.

Back