What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

default folder views

zambonibutt

Hi folks. I use Photoshop 6 on Windows 98SE, and I have folders full of many graphics that, up until now, I could view the way I like. Each folder has 3 identical file names... with 3 different extensions and I need to see these grouped together when I use photoshop to open them. An example would be apple.jpg, apple.stn, and apple.tif. That's how I always saw the folders up until today. Now I get apple.jpg, followed alphabetically by b.jpg until all the .jpgs are listed followed by apple.stn...followed by all the .stn's alphatbetically. So, I click on the details folder, click on the grey name bar and it lists them alphabetically, then I click on list and it looks the way I want it. I open a file, close it, and go to open another file, and I'm back to apple. jpg, b.jpg again. I then have to go through the same process. Is this an Adobe preference or a windows preference and how do I get my default alphabetical by name list view back?

Welcome aboard :perfect:
to tell you the truth I never really noticed......... but now that you mention it yeah it should list them the way you used to see them...........

what have you installed recently that may have upset this?
I don't know what to suggest so perhaps Gaus or Mark or someone else can
sfm

Hi,
I haven't installed anything to photoshop, but I've been messing around in windows 98 folders view and photoshop preferences trying to get things back the way they were. Since there is no program for thumbnail views of Genuine Fractals files, I really need this method back to keep track of my jpg's, tifs and stn's.

This is a preference that can be changed in windows.
You can go to the Image Menu and choose >Sort>alphabetically, or sort>by extension. You can even choose to get a list or thumbnails etc.

A thing that I want to add; if people are using Windows 2000/XP you can change the default setting by first selecting the view that you prefer (details, thumbnails, list, etc) and then go to Tools, Folder Options, View, Apply to all Folders (in some cases operating systems it might be something with the word "Like" in it).

Back