What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

do i need a degree/qualifications to be a graphic designer!

mdabhi

At the moment design and art is a hobby of mine. I would like to one day make a living out of my design skills that I have taught myself. Would I need a degree to show employers that I can design or is a portfolio more important to prospective employers. An article I read stated that education in this field is very important and then he contradicts himself saying that not once in over 20 years has he ever shown his qualifications to an employer. What is the best way for someone like me to get experience in this field eg do voluntary work? I mean look at dbm and his partner phong both are self taught

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Try a search on Monster.com, or hotjobs for graphic designer, and if any jobs currently are out there, they ususally are requiring documented education.

With the proliferance of PC's, Graphics jobs have gotten more particular about who they hire. The pro's who have been doing it for 20 years don't have to worry, they've gotten their education in the School of Experience. If you're just entering the field, well, that's a different matter. There are literally TONS of people out there who "like to draw as a hobby," but that doesn't cover all the other skills needed in today's market. A killer portfolio will help, for sure, but anymore, you need a combination of skill and smarts...

I couldn't agree with MsOz more. Also, you will find that the skills and information that you pick up in those classes will be invaluable to you. When I started college, I already knew "how to draw" and "how to use photoshop and Illustrator" but there's so much more to it than that, and I learned an enormous amount of valuable information and skills.

Back