What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eraser tool buggered?

gordonp

When I use the eraser tool while holding down the shift key to do a continuous deletion around the subject - often one of two menu dialog boxes pops up. Either the menu for "Pencil. Brush, Block" or the full menu for all the available brushes. Nothing on the Adobe site about it. I've tried resetting the brushes to no avail. This is very frustrating. Any tips on how to stop the menus from popping up when using the Eraser?
MAC OS 10.13.6 on Macbook ProMenu pop up.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello.

You should NEVER........EVER............NEVER........use the Erasure Tool for anything in Photoshop!!!!!!!!

The Erasure Tool is destructive and should never be used. Always work non-destructively and use a layer mask! Period.

If you hit the shift key and right click you get the first menu you show on the left.........If you right click without holding shift key you get the Brush Preset Panel that you show on the right. You're hitting the right click for some reason.

Just don't use the Erasure Tool at all!

gordonp

I'm getting rid of the area around my subject. A layer mask won't work for that.
I can't right click - or any click because I'm not using a mouse - just my laptop's trackpad. I've never experienced this problem in the past.
I do composites like this example - 20 layers - no mouse - just my trackpad.Supply Ship.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm getting rid of the area around my subject. A layer mask won't work for that.
Nonsense. Please explain.

I can't right click - or any click because I'm not using a mouse - just my laptop's trackpad.
How do you right click on the track pad? Two fingers? You're doing it accidentally.

gordonp

I put my subject on a layer above a clear/ no content layer. Then I erase the background around my subject (e.g. a space ship) Now I have a file with two layers - one with only the subject and below that a blank layer. I can then copy just the subject and paste it into a new image as a separate layer.
I haven't used a mouse in 20 years.
I'm trying an older version of PShop which doesn't seem to have the problem.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I put my subject on a layer above a clear/ no content layer. Then I erase the background around my subject (e.g. a space ship) Now I have a file with two layers - one with only the subject and below that a blank layer. I can then copy just the subject and paste it into a new image as a separate layer.
YES............use a layer mask for this!

Here I have made a selection of the moon and used a layer mask to remove the background.
Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 10.50.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 10.49.49 PM.png

Learn how to use layer masking: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Beginners+guide+to+layer+masking

You can use the Brush Tool on a layer mask just like you use the Erasure Tool. DON"T USE THE ERASURE TOOL!